LogonUI.exe - Sessions Disconnected

Question

• Answers 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 1/12/2022 at 9:34 PM, Tore Skara1709154798 said:

Hi everyone,

We also have the same problem with one of our customers. They are running Windows Server 2019 (1809) VDAs with CVAD 2109 and FSLogix 2.9.7349.30108. Disconnected sessions will not log off gracefully. When manually terminating the Windows Logon User Interface Host (LogonUI.exe) process, the session is logged off immediately.

Not sure if the initial problem occurs when logging on, logging off or when the sessions is disconnected/timed out. I see sessions in "disconnected" state on the VDAs which have been "idle" for hours (way past configured RDS "timeout limits"). Users are not able to logon again/reconnect when this happens. It is not possible to log off the sessions through Citrix Studio (or even by PowerShell commands). Only by terminating the LogonUI.exe process (Windows Logon User Interface Host).

Anyone who has heard from Citrix on the matter? Seems a few people have registered support cases.

I can confirm that the StatUi.dll hotfix from Citrix Support has solved our problems with "stale" disconnected sessions. We are running CVAD 2112 on Windows Server 2019 with FSLogix 2.9.7349.30108. Citrix Support also confirmed that the hotfix will be implemented in the next CVAD release.

Re-contacted Citrix support asking if there was any update since raising our support call, titled 'Since upgrading to 1912 CU4 noticed an increase in User connection failures' and was informed no other reports of this nature or any bugs.  Only to now be informed hotfix https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX340125 has been issued.  Applied and now seeing a much stable VDA environment.  I don't quite understand how a bug can creep into the LTSR when this is the whole point of it?  Many hours spent on this issue, very disappointing especially with no follow up from Citrix to notify of the finding,

we have the same problem with the CU4 on our latest vDisk. I have tested the statui.dll 7.24.4001.2. Unfortunately without success. It is still a ghostession and in the director I also get no info about the session.

Citrix Support recommended me to reinstall the Citrix Director...doesn't sound like the error to me....

Update 02.03.2022
I installed CU3 today and there the problem also exists ??

Edited by Carsten Siemer

1912 CU5 was just released and has fixed the issue on a client environment I just updated the master image on. Included in the Multi Session VDA fixes in the CU was this:

When you exit from a Citrix virtual session, one or more of the following issues might occur:

• The VDA still lists the terminated session and the logonui.exe process. The logonui.exe process can be forcefully terminated.
  • The session appears with a blank username in Citrix Studio.
  • You might not be able to launch further sessions.

[CVADHELP-19182]

Unsure if it's related to this exact issue, but on CU5 we are seeing sporadic issues where a user's session is logging in but must get stuck. The user closes Workspace and attempts another sign in resulting in TWO sessions simultaneously on the same multi-session VDA. The second session cannot access files in the user's home drive that are in use on the first session. So far the only solution I have is to log onto the VDA, force the logoff of both sessions from Task Manager (and sometimes close processes like LogonUI.exe) and then tell the user to log back in. It's becoming a daily occurrence and frustration with at least 1 random user per morning.

On 4/5/2022 at 4:19 AM, Jens Strohschnitter1709152492 said:

Did anyone updated to the new LTSR 2203 ? We've updated a couple of servers with VDA 2203 but not the farm itself. So far we've seen no issues. On friday we will update the rest of our servers and farm to 2203.

I have it installed on 66 Servers right now and Usually by this time of day we're seeing issues so it seems ok.

11 hours ago, Jens Strohschnitter1709152492 said:

We still have same issues with 2203 LTSR like on LTSR 19.12 CU4 (without statui.dll patch) and 19.12 CU5. We've opened a new Citrix case.

We have a few 2112 clients that are having this issue as well. It doesn't seem to matter if its a multi-vda deployment or just a single instance on server 2019. It also doesn't appear to matter whether its a cloud deployment or on-prem as we have both. I applied the hotfix when I noticed a blank session name in the delivery controller and it seemed to fix that problem however we are still seeing session reconnect issues which are causing us major headaches. It is worse when the systems are running fslogix, it completely ties up the profile.

I was hoping 2203 would resolve this issue however it looks like this has not happened so not I'm considering rolling back to 2109 or 2106 for more stability as we cant have this issue continuing with our customers without a definite solution.

10 hours ago, Benjamin Kruumlger said:

What does Citrix say about this? Is there any new information?

Would be nice if you share your info.

Hi, unfortunately no new info. I spoke with them for quite a while and they said if you're observing this issue, then you should basically roll back. They wanted me to roll back to 2109 first but that also had the issue. 2203 LTSR is no good as well. 2106 is EOL at the end of this year so I'm hoping a more stable LTSR release comes out before them. After rolling back to 2106 this issue has disappeared

Just found this thread. Same problem here on Windows 10 Multisession Hosts and VDA 2203. Ticket 81163237 is open since a few weeks and the only recommendation was to downgrade to VDA 2112 (which had the same issues). We'll now give VDA 2106 a try as well.

EDIT:

VDA 2106 solves the issue for us as well. No bad session's since two days.

@Hardeep Sidhu1709163344 Can you give me your ticket number so i can reference it in our ticket?

Edited by jochen
Update
On 8/10/2022 at 8:32 AM, lagermax said:

we have exact the same issue vda 2016 - 1912.5.

happend after installed the wu kb5015808 

Found today the problematic process. In our case, when you kill wsearch.exe (windows search service) all sessions are logged off. you can also start the service after and the server is again working well.... 

also opened a citrix case.

Hi @lagermax!

This is the sweet spot to look further, thanks!

our System 2016 LTSB with FSLogix, Office 2016, VDA 7,15.8

- exactly started after patching July 2022 aka KB5015808

Tried a lot, but this is it, I have also an open case with Citrix.

I think it is a combined problem with FSlogicx Windows Search and Citrix in 2016 LTSB.

Also tried a complete new Citrix 2203 env still exactly the same issue, so VDA upgraded, with Augsust 2022 path newest FSLogix HF1

will try HF2 tomorrow.

On 8/27/2022 at 9:53 PM, Ronald van Beers said:

Hi @lagermax!

This is the sweet spot to look further, thanks!

our System 2016 LTSB with FSLogix, Office 2016, VDA 7,15.8

- exactly started after patching July 2022 aka KB5015808

Tried a lot, but this is it, I have also an open case with Citrix.

I think it is a combined problem with FSlogicx Windows Search and Citrix in 2016 LTSB.

Also tried a complete new Citrix 2203 env still exactly the same issue, so VDA upgraded, with Augsust 2022 path newest FSLogix HF1

will try HF2 tomorrow.

We also have this problem with Server 2016 and VDA 1912 CU5 LTRS without FXLogicx.

Does anybody have gotten a response from Citrix?

Still with HF2 FSlogix and August Patch still we experience log off issues.

Also, logon issues after 3 sessions if the VDA is affected, the sessions become ---- sessions and you can only log the VDA stops responding.

no details are on the Director/Studio all "active" even when logged of sessions.