Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Bryant Irwin

Question

I've been trying to app layer the new Teams 2.0 since it's now in preview for VDI environments.  I have installed it in an App Layer and then sealed/finalized it, only to find it not visible in a vdisk after publishing.  I believe it has to do with the fact that it's installing into C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and the only deployment is based around an MSIX package. 

Anyone have an idea how this can work or can shed some more light on why it doesn't work currently?

12 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Rene Tap1709160993 said:

This is basically a copy and paste of the instructions I've already followed from Microsoft.  This does not work in an app layer. 
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/new-teams-vdi-requirements-deploy

It appears to work until you shutdown for finalize.  After finalization, if you open a new version of the layer, it's no longer installed.  If you publish a vdisk with the layer, the app isn't there either. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Raul Noa said:

Same issue here. I've considered diving into the app layering layer finalization scripts like I had to do in the past to prevent the DVDROM drive from being removed and rediscovered by the OS.

Upon further reading - it seems that the New Teams client is MSIX and similar to Store Apps/Modern Apps. Installing it in the OS layer will preserve it through App Layering's layer prep & finalization and publishing, but only if you install it in the OS layer. I was able to confirm this works. Not ideal, but at least allows us to test with the New Teams.

6 hours ago, Raul Noa said:

Upon further reading - it seems that the New Teams client is MSIX and similar to Store Apps/Modern Apps. Installing it in the OS layer will preserve it through App Layering's layer prep & finalization and publishing, but only if you install it in the OS layer. I was able to confirm this works. Not ideal, but at least allows us to test with the New Teams.

I am really hoping we end up with another solution for this long term because I hate mucking up my OS Layer.  Thanks for confirming though!

Update on this topic.  I just tested and got 2.1 to work but right now you have to install it in the OS layer.  I hope at some point this can changes but it is a universal apps and those nee to be in the OS layer.  I will repost if anything changes with regards to this.

On 1/4/2024 at 12:23 PM, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Update on this topic.  I just tested and got 2.1 to work but right now you have to install it in the OS layer.  I hope at some point this can changes but it is a universal apps and those nee to be in the OS layer.  I will repost if anything changes with regards to this.

Thanks for the update on this. 

Would it be wise to use the folder exclusion on any of the teams directories ?  I'm always worried about polluting other layers when I add something to the OS Layer. 

On 1/4/2024 at 1:23 PM, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Hi, did you use this command for installation?

teamsbootstrapper.exe -p -o "C:\LOCATION\MSTeams-x64.msix"

Thanks!

On 1/4/2024 at 7:23 PM, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Hi Rob, have you tried the same on a W10 with the User Personalization Layer ?

We are trying to install the new teams on a master image based on CVAD2203CU2 + User Personalization Layer but the new teams is not launching. Seems that the path C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ is not accesibile. Maybe we should insert this path in the exclusion list of the UPL (AlwaysOnBoot registry key) ?

Similar issue that I'm having. (VMware View, App Layering 23.12, Win10 22H2) I installed teams per: Known issues | App Layering (citrix.com).  I published the image as normal, Teams shows up in the image just fine.  Once I composed the image to a pool and had a user log in (with classic teams removed, I had it as an elastic layer), Teams wouldn't show up in the start menu.

The solution I found was that any user who had classic teams, I would need to delete their personalization layer, then have them sign in and then New Teams would work correctly.  Not the best solution, but it works.