App Layering Local Storage Size

Dustin Donner

Question

ELM Software version 22.2.0.1013

VMware Hypervisor

I was instructed by a Citrix consultant that the local storage on our virtual App Layering appliance (that is currently set @ 300GB) would be enough for our enterprise.  Recently one of my coworkers imported an image (~100GB) from a dev environment that contained multiple other layers and it quickly filled up.  What is the recommended size for local storage?  I was under the impression from the consultant that this storage was a temporary staging area, but I'd like to be corrected if I'm mistaken.  We currently use PVS and have roughly 200 different VMDKs and  next to security, consolidation is our primary reasoning for implementing App Layering.  Can you give me examples of your current storage vs. enterprise size?  Thank you in advance!

1 answer to this question

300 GB is pretty small.  And its not just temp storage its also the layer repository.  Most enterprises have 1-2 TB for the layer storage disk n the appliance, but that will depend on the number of layers /versions and size of layers that you have.

An OS layer is normally about 20-30GB per version.  Your app layers will be the size of the apps.

• Like 1