Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows installer tries to kick off icawebwrapper.msi when trying to launch an app

Robert Peck

Question

For a couple years we have seen this problem.  Often associated with the ICA client being updated.  Sometimes seemingly out of nowhere.

Symptom is that when attempting to launch a Citrix app the Windows Installer kicks off and tries to find ICAWebWrapper.msi and gives an error that it can’t find it. 

We have always used Web access and not native mode.

When this error happens the helpdesk has always just uninstalled and re-installed the client and then it works.

We are now using Workspace App 1911.  Today we had many instances of this error.    These are users that recently changed windows domains (but that did not break workspace) and then today they transitioned from launching some of their applications from the on prem storefront to launching them from Citrix Cloud.   There were a certain number of them that started getting that error when launching apps from the cloud but they could still launch apps from storefront with no issue.

What I mostly want to know is what causes this problem.  Does anyone have a technical explanation for it?

Capture.JPG

7 answers to this question

Probably the file icawebwrapper.msi is missing in program files

1. Download winrar and extract WorkspaceApp.exe
  2. After extraction completes, copy the file icawebwrapper.msi and paste it in the Citrix installation directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix
  3. Try launching the app, if the same prompt appears then click on browse and navigate to Citrix folder and select the copied file icawebwrapper.msi

image.thumb.png.c74112d89af764a1d63ffeeea1449d9b.pngimage.thumb.png.37d6fa65c5108e86e0973fff9be6e8c6.png

• Like 2
On 1/28/2020 at 6:00 AM, Sandeep Sandeep said:

Probably the file icawebwrapper.msi is missing in program files

1. Download winrar and extract WorkspaceApp.exe
  2. After extraction completes, copy the file icawebwrapper.msi and paste it in the Citrix installation directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix
  3. Try launching the app, if the same prompt appears then click on browse and navigate to Citrix folder and select the copied file icawebwrapper.msi

image.thumb.png.c74112d89af764a1d63ffeeea1449d9b.pngimage.thumb.png.37d6fa65c5108e86e0973fff9be6e8c6.png

Thank you so much! I have been fighting this for months. I reinstalled citrix easy a dozen times today.

Is there any logging can show why this is happening? I previously extracted the Workspace installer myself and pointed the installer to it, I also see it in the Program Files folders (Although it's from a different date than my install date) but every few days I can see the installer come up and run again.

Been happening for multiple versions and multiple uninstalls/reinstalls

I get this same issue at least twice a week exactly as described by the OP.  Your solution seems like a workaround and does not address the root cause of the issue. Can no one tell us why this happens or how to permanently fix it?  Looking at Google I see mention of this issue going back many years (i.e. 2011-2012, etc).

This issue still persists, I installed Citrix Workspace in July 2021, and since this day I got several times the popup looking for the ICAWebWrapper.msi file when launching a Citrix session (after opening the *.ica file).

I already relocated it manually several time, first time I guess it was like on the Robert Peck's screenshot : temporary folder of user profile that obviously is cleared sometime so the ICAWebWrapper.msi cannot remains here forever (so why looking at this file here ???).

So after this first popup, i relocate the file for example actually : C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\Citrix WorkSpace 2108\ICAWebWrapper.msi, but since the next update will replace "C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\Citrix WorkSpace 2108" by something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\Citrix WorkSpace 2109", my location will again be broken.

I can copy the current ICAWebWrapper.msi in" C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix" and next time popup appears set this location that should remains the same but I guess the ICAWebWrapper.msi copied will not be anymore the up-to-date version from the new install folder, I don't know if it can be a problem...

Why is a msi setup file looked at startup of a software ? Looks like a bad implementation...