NVidia software disappearing on new version of existing/working platform layer

Calvin Chan

Question

Latest version of ELM (as of today)

7.15 LTSR CU3, PVS

Windows v 1709

Full Elastic enabled for User Layer, but no elastic layering are used for apps. So the VM's are running image only + user layer.

Trying to update something on the platform layer, however the new versions coming out are missing the Nvidia /GRID components, the folders are still there, but emptied or only containing a blank shortcut. Got a screenshot here.. http://prntscr.com/q7qhed

The NVidia program files folder are already added to the registry HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\unifltr

nvidia-error.png

9 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Do you have a vm template defined in tour connector that includes the nvidea hardware?

Yeah, connector is pointing to the GPU-enabled template. It's been working fine, I've add many versions before, until today. I've cleaned up the previous versions, restarted the ELM too.

Just now, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Did you start using the compositing engine?  If so try without it. 

Haha, I tried that as well.

I've also tried using an earlier version of the layer as the base, still nothing.. so i assume whatever happens, it's doing it on generating the new version.

On 12/14/2019 at 3:09 AM, Calvin Chan said:

Hypervisor tool is on the platform layer, along with the NVidia grid software

OK we had a similar issue with this when the Hypervisor tool was installed into the platform layer, we ended up having to recreate it. Installing the Hypervisor tools into a new platform layer > Finalizing the layer > Add New version > Then continue on with the Nvidia drivers, VDA Agent etc.

In our experience, the platform layer has issues if it isn't finalized straight after the Hypervisor tools are installed

Doing it this way also negated the need to add the Unifilter Registry keys for the Nvidia Installation folders

13 hours ago, Thomas Rodgers said:

OK we had a similar issue with this when the Hypervisor tool was installed into the platform layer, we ended up having to recreate it. Installing the Hypervisor tools into a new platform layer > Finalizing the layer > Add New version > Then continue on with the Nvidia drivers, VDA Agent etc.

In our experience, the platform layer has issues if it isn't finalized straight after the Hypervisor tools are installed

Doing it this way also negated the need to add the Unifilter Registry keys for the Nvidia Installation folders

Oof, that's quite troublesome... and it seems like no matter which base version i go to, the NVidia comes out missing on the new version. Wonder if the app layering team has something like this in their KB... probably should start a ticket at this point.