Undoing changes made on the User Layer

Calvin Chan

Question

Hello everyone,

We're currently on 7.15 LTSR CU3, PVS

Windows v 1709

Full Elastic enabled for User Layer, but no elastic layering are used for apps. So the VM's are running image only + user layer.

Is it possible to undo changes made on the user layer ex: uninstalled/updated certain programs ? so that the user is realigned to the image?

We've been having some difficulty keeping all the auto-updaters in check, and sometimes an admin would slip and allowed the process to go through. 

Thank you

5 answers to this question

48 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Search for "Repair a User Layer" in here https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-app-layering/4/layer/enable-user-layers.html

That should help.

Hi Rob, that worked -  but i noticed there are only about 4-5 of these json files available, yet we have 15+ application layers, and 3 platform layers.

According to the doc, we have to contact an engineer to manually generate those repair files if they aren't generated, is this still valid? 

Is there a json repair for Platform layers?

Thank you

1 hour ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

I think the files are created when you finalize a layer.  The ones you have you probably created after this feature was introduced so you can probably add a version to the pother layers you dont have and when you finalize them they should be created as well.

That  is just an educated guess.

Hmm that would make sense, but I finalized a layer 3 days ago (Platform), and I don't see a repair json for it. We've been on the latest ELM since week 1 of its release. It's not a huge problem, we can always contact an engineer to help us generate it manually, but It would be more convenient if it was something we had some control over.

You can generate your own, just reverse engineer one of the existing layer repair files but grab the info you need for your new layer from the layers.json file in the root of your file share. Basically you need layer name, layer ID and revision number from the layers.json file. 

I'm not sure it'll work for the platform layer, though, it seems like App Layering treats that one differently from app layers. 

Thanks.