Updated Privacy Statement

Session reliability suspended the connection for user domain\user, session 5. source rpm

Iliya Iliev

Question

In the past few days I have been getting kicked off my xendesktop  and xenapp pretty much momentarily as they open/launch. 

Event viewer shows error Session reliability suspended the connection for user domain\user , session 5 and the source is listed as rpm.

Has anyone ran into this issue before? Everything seemed to worked fine until this point. 

Also note that this isnt happening with my test user account, but it did happen to another user earlier this morning. 

I have two Delivery controllers and two VDA server hosts 2019 server standard with a separate machine for the DB. 

I run ICAClient.x86_64-19.6.0.60-0.rpm package on CentOS 7.6, this is basically the standard for our environment. 

Can anyone recommend a good way to approach issues like these such as apps disappearing/closing out of nowhere? I usually try director but It never reports these session closes unfortunately. Currently i am testing this environment and plan on deploy into production soon to about 50 users but with one off problems like these I think i will be creating myself more headaches then making things more efficient. 

Thanks,

Capture.PNG

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 9/24/2020 at 1:55 AM, Rajuan Kimble said:

@tylital520 I have a customer with a similar issue. Have you been able to solve this issue? If so, how? Also, when this issue occurs, are users connecting through ADC?

Hi,

we were asked to try this: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX231821

I have not tried it yet. One of the reasons is that we have no control over what client version our users are using.

On 9/25/2020 at 6:19 PM, Mike Kelly1709153237 said:

I heard from my Citrix TRM that there are 2 customers that have opened tickets on this issue recently specifically targeting the 1912 CU1 VDA.  He's going to keep me informed about how they are progressing and what the resolution is... I'll post here as I have more information.

Hi mkelly439, have you herd any more on this? I have a number of customers in the same position, session hang with rpm session reliability errors in the system event log, some are running 1912 LTSR others 1912  LTSR CU1 on Win 2016 svr using Netscaler VPX 13.x

thanks

Hi, I am facing the same issue at a customer of ours, with random users unable to reconnect to their existing connection when switching between workstations. The only difference is that the users are not connecting through the netscaler but connecting directly to Storefront and Citrix Desktop servers. I currently have a ticket open with Citrix, investigating the issue.

We are running Citrix Virtual App 1912 CU1 and Citrix Workspace App 2006.1.

I have an environment that is also facing these issues rpm event 10 - 12. Some users are affected but not all. Some users have sessions that are working through the full day.  I have tried to disable DTLS, HDX Adaptive transport -policy OFF (this might have improved the situation a bit, but not fully),  removed the policies"Multi-Stream user setting" and "Multi-Stream computer setting".

We have 

Gateway NS12.1: Build 60.17.nc

The farm infra is 1912 LTSR CU1 (Win Server 2016)

Workers are mixed 50/50 with VDA 1912 LTSR CU2 and CR2009. Both VDA:s are having the issue.

Next I will try the session reliability --> ICA keep alive and then open a ticket. 

The issues started late 2020.

Hi,

We are also experiencing the sudden disconnects.

With disabled Session Reliability. Connection between SNIP and VDA is TCP 1494

• System/EventID 12/Connection broken unexpectedly for user <Username>, session <SessionID>.

With enabled Session Reliability. Connection between SNIP and VDA is TCP 2598

• Session/EventID 10/Session reliability suspended the connection for user <Username>, session <SessionID>.
  • Followed by 180 seconds Session Reliability Timeout and then:
  • System/EventID 10/Connection broken unexpectedly for user <Username>, session <SessionID>.

Quick facts:

• Customer is only using external access.
  • Upgrading to 1912 CU2 didn't fix the issue or alter the appearance. Initial installation was 1912 CU1 - no upgrade.
  • OS is Windows Server 2019 throughout.
  • Issue appears randomly.
  • Customer is using HTML5 Receiver only.
  • Enabling/Disabling Session Reliability doesn't make a difference.
  • DTLS was never enabled and there is no listener for it. All connections between SNIP and VDA are TCP.
  • Access Gateway Advanced VPX Version 13.0 61.48nc is used.

Case number is #80338398 

Regards

1 hour ago, Patrick Matula said:

What do you mean "happens while using USB camera"? Is it reproducible? If yes, how exactly? 

This environment has USB microscopes that we have been trying to get to work via Wyse / Citrix. Whats happening is when the scopes and software are in use, randomly the session will hang and eventually break with Wyse terminal exception. Until 1912 upgrade they worked fine. Then with COVID lockdown they were not used for a while, so we did not notice an issue until they started testing again. Since more things then just 1912 were updated I suspected other changes such as Wyse OS upgrades. But today I dug into it more and located the disconnect events in System logs corresponding with times when user sessions break.

So yes its reproducible sort off. The microscope and related software need to be capturing for a little bit.

One thing I am not certain on is whether the Wyse originated sessions will break if the microscopes are not in use. But I do know that sessions to the same VDAs from non-wyse clients (and obviously no microscopes) work fine. 

I also tried with session reliability off and the errors still happen though the message is slightly different. Bottom line - there is definitely a disconnect.

17 hours ago, dpalchu521 said:

This environment has USB microscopes that we have been trying to get to work via Wyse / Citrix. Whats happening is when the scopes and software are in use, randomly the session will hang and eventually break with Wyse terminal exception. Until 1912 upgrade they worked fine. Then with COVID lockdown they were not used for a while, so we did not notice an issue until they started testing again. Since more things then just 1912 were updated I suspected other changes such as Wyse OS upgrades. But today I dug into it more and located the disconnect events in System logs corresponding with times when user sessions break.

So yes its reproducible sort off. The microscope and related software need to be capturing for a little bit.

One thing I am not certain on is whether the Wyse originated sessions will break if the microscopes are not in use. But I do know that sessions to the same VDAs from non-wyse clients (and obviously no microscopes) work fine. 

I also tried with session reliability off and the errors still happen though the message is slightly different. Bottom line - there is definitely a disconnect.

That sounds interesting, I'll test that. (Even we don't use wyse thinclients)

16 hours ago, dpalchu521 said:

I just tested "normal" disconnect from windows client. Looks like the similar error is logged as well, albeit with different code. When sessions crash I see code 10. With normal disconnect its 12.   

hmm, I have to recheck that. I think I see both events most of the time. 

I am working through this random disconnect issue as well, but only when the user is accessing from external and going across the external ADC.  Internal users accessing the same XA and our internal ADC environment do not see this issue.

I had a case open that went all the way to escalation engineer -  case number #8029497, but after many log reviews and testing various settings, we could not resolve.  In troubleshooting an unrelated issue, I stumbled across something that provided a brief end to the random disconnects.  A roll back of our Antivirus policy stopped the disconnects.  But with so many security events happening in the news, we had to put the policy back in place.

Environment is ADC NS12.1.59.16.nc.

1912 CU2 VDA, issue happens on 2012 R2, 2016.

I suspect our Antivirus as the cause.  We are using Trend Deep Security.  Currently trying to narrow down and isolate.  First noticed these disconnects a few weeks after migrating to a new build of 1912 CU2 with Trend Deep Security.  Using this guide to fine tune the policy, https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/tech-zone/build/tech-papers/antivirus-best-practices.html.

Update:  Adding the updated Trend policies for PVS Servers and VDA with PVS Target exclusions did not help.

I am beginning to suspect something in the 19xx versions based on the number of other Google search returns…

Compare search results for 1912 to 
https://www.google.com/search?q=citrix+xenapp+1912+disconnect&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS822US822&oq=citrix+xenapp+1912+disconnect&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i64j69i60l3.6055j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The previous 7.15 version we used
https://www.google.com/search?q=citrix+xenapp+7.15+disconnect&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS822US822&sxsrf=ALeKk030yIYiZ6eAe-uKgeIOo07tWdOdcg%3A1616938103936&ei=d4RgYIjVOJS2tAaSsoLABQ&oq=citrix+xenapp+7.15+disconnect&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBwgjELADECcyBwgAEEcQsAMyBwgAEEcQsAMyBwgAEEcQsAMyBwgAEEcQsAMyBwgAEEcQsAMyBwgAEEcQsAMyBwgAEEcQsAMyBwgAEEcQsANQAFgAYN_JAmgCcAJ4AIABdYgBdZIBAzAuMZgBAKoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQnAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwjI7Lvqi9PvAhUUG80KHRKZAFgQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

I am going back to test with the older 7.15 Agents.

Edited by Nguyen Truong
Added more detail.

Thanks Nguyen for the detailed description. We are having the same issues with a NetScaler 13.0 58.32.nc and VDA version 1912.0.1000.24525 (CU1 I think) on Windows Server 2019. We are also using Webroot, so a different A/V.

We have 6 servers in the farm, and we noticed that sometimes everyone (or nearly everyone) on a particular server will get disconnected and the rpm event ID 10 warnings show up for all the discontented sessions. The users can then reconnect without an issue. Hopefully someone comes up with a solution. I am considering moving off of the LTSR and installing a newer version. Has anyone tried that yet?

Edited by Steve Prestage
Added Windows Server info.
On 3/11/2021 at 5:47 PM, Balaji Muthukrishnan said:

In my case, all the affected sessions are showing as disconnected in studio with "Current user" as Blank. if I check the session state by command line using get-brokersession cmdlet...I can see -LogonInProgress parameter is set to "True" for all the affected sessions., whereas for the other disconnected sessions -LogonInProgress parameter is set to "False".

But I am seeing similar event id of 10 and 12 with event source as "RPM". When I login to HSD to check the running process for the user session, i can see only very few process (Runtime process,User mode font drive host, citrix graphics, windows logon Application and Windows Logon User Interface Host).

Tried killing the LogonUI process for the user session (Windows Logon User Interface Host), and session gracefully logoff.  From the scenario, so far, when a user tries to login for some reason session is broken, after certain timeout, studio marks the session as disconnected, but controller thinks, session is still in logon phase, probably thats the reason -LogonInProgress parameter is still set to "True".  So far, I am manually killing the process LogonUI to fix the issue.

I am correlating to KBs for the issue, which I am yet to try...

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX232490    - After Installing VDA 7.15 on Windows 2016, Unable to Reconnect to Existing Session or Start a New Session

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX286701   -  Users getting disconnected while working in the published applications

I have applied the fix suggested in  (https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX232490    - After Installing VDA 7.15 on Windows 2016, Unable to Reconnect to Existing Session or Start a New Session ) CTX KB in the OS layerbut it didnt fix the issue. I am still seeing ghost disconnected sessions

We installed 1912CU2 with EDT MTU Discovery Key again. We wait for internal tickets. 

For our environment rpm error 10 and 12 seem to appear for "normal" disconnects as well. No indicator at all. 

Regarding the USB devices, I tried different ones and use them a little bit - I couldn't reproduce the issue.