Xen Apps Cannot Open File on Double Click.

Ryan Brooke

Question

Hello Everyone,

We are Using a XenApp Server, and anytime we try to double click a file in a network shared drive, we get errors. For Adobe Acrobat we get the following error. "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found." In Microsoft visio, we get the following error. "\\Client\S$\Test File.vsdx File Not Found". It appears it's a XenApp Shared mapping issue since it happens to both. Any ideas? I tried to locate this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Citrix\ICA Client\Engine\Configuration\Advanced\Modules\ClientDrive that was found in another forum, but it didn't work. In the Server 2016, that key doesn't exist under ICA client. Can we create it? Adobe is on a 2012 Windows Server and that key is set to TRUE already. On the client side, this key is set to False.

Cheers!

AdobeSnip.PNG

CitrixLinkedDriveError.PNG

5 answers to this question

On 8/26/2019 at 5:02 PM, David Clark1709160691 said:

Is this a Path issue?   It is certainly common that you cannot launch an application from a UNC path and if the working directory is not the directory where the .exe resides how will the application find its required components?

That is what I was thinking. How would we resolve this pathing if it isn't compatible with UNC?

I would start by connecting to the hosting server via RDP and try to launch the file that way and see if it fails.   From the UNC path (\\Client\S$\….), is 'Client' the Hostname of a file server or the Client's PC where you are attempting to open a file hosted on a client mapped drive?   If a Client mapped drive, you are certainly going about this in an odd way.  Assuming your policies allow it, the Client Mapped drive should be connected into the user session on the Citrix server and you would address it as a local drive rather than trying to hop back into the client's machine. This would make the in session path simply 'S:\Test File.vsdx'

3 minutes ago, David Clark1709160691 said:

I would start by connecting to the hosting server via RDP and try to launch the file that way and see if it fails.   From the UNC path (\\Client\S$\….), is 'Client' the Hostname of a file server or the Client's PC where you are attempting to open a file hosted on a client mapped drive?   If a Client mapped drive, you are certainly going about this in an odd way.  Assuming your policies allow it, the Client Mapped drive should be connected into the user session on the Citrix server and you would address it as a local drive rather than trying to hop back into the client's machine. This would make the in session path simply 'S:\Test File.vsdx'

Correct, that is the path the Server is seeing from the Client's end (\\Client\S$\...). So if the server should be seeing the drive as a native drive from the client's standpoint, do I have a setting wrong on the app server?

Is the S drive available on the Citrix server from within the user's session?  You could publish Notepad or any application with a File browse dialog and check to see if you can see the S drive.  If the drive is there, then there is no reason you would want to use the \\Client\S$.  If instead, you only see the drive through TSCLIENT, You should be mapping that S:\ drive direct to the file server when the session launches rather than attempting to jump back through the client.