Getting Intermittent 3664, 3621, and 3635 Events in system log

Robert Tate

Question

Getting Intermittent Datastore disconnect messages, please see following:

Error from SQL Server.  SQLSTATE code: 08S01, Message: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your network documentation.. SQL Server error code: 11, Citrix result status: IMA_RESULT_DBCONNECT_FAILURE

The server running Citrix XenApp failed to connect to the Data Store.  Error - IMA_RESULT_DBCONNECT_FAILURE The database is down or there is a network failure.

The server running Citrix XenApp failed to connect to the data store. The database is down or there is a network failure. Error: IMA_RESULT_DBCONNECT_FAILURE  Indirect: 0  Server:   DSN file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\Independent Management Architecture\mf20.dsn

Hi Alan,

Yes, I can ping the server that contains the datastore. Also, currently it is not happening on all servers just servers located at a remote location away from the datastore server. What's even more interesting is that it is not happening to all servers at the remote location.

Hi Dclark116,

The error is intermittent, and only last for a second. Access to the datastore Is restored immediately but will pop up again at different times.

2 answers to this question

My guess is that the SQL DB password was changed at some point.  From each XenApp server, you would typically use the DSMAINT command to update those credentials.  I've seen many cases where DSMAINT was used and appeared to be fine and then at some later point, the servers seem to have reverted to the old credentials.  

First confirm that the DB server name is correct in the DSN file, verify that you can telnet to the SQL listener successfully, then issue the DSMAINT command to update the credentials following that with a Restart of the IMA service.  Examine the event logs to confirm that the error has gone away.

Archived