New Teams 2.1 Shortcut with WEM?

Robert Madrian

Question

Hello,

We are using XenDesktop 2203 CU4 with Citrix WEM 2311 + FSLogix (latest Version) and have now installed the new Teams 2.1 for testing according to the following Microsoft article:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/new-teams-vdi-requirements-deploy

We are encountering the following issues:

• We generate our start menu using WEM, and I don't know how we should create the MSIX shortcut for the new Teams 2.1?

• Directly calling it through the following path leads to an error "The specified device, path, or file cannot be accessed":
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MSTeams_23335.232.2637.4844_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\ms-teams.exe
    (it is not Applocker which prevents the start...)

Has anyone already deployed the new Teams using XenDesktop + WEM?

I would be very grateful for any help - the old Teams is still running flawlessly, but it must be replaced by June 2024...

Best regards, Robert

5 answers to this question

On 2/21/2024 at 11:10 AM, Robert Madrian said:

Hello,

We are using XenDesktop 2203 CU4 with Citrix WEM 2311 + FSLogix (latest Version) and have now installed the new Teams 2.1 for testing according to the following Microsoft article:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/new-teams-vdi-requirements-deploy

We are encountering the following issues:

• We generate our start menu using WEM, and I don't know how we should create the MSIX shortcut for the new Teams 2.1?

• Directly calling it through the following path leads to an error "The specified device, path, or file cannot be accessed":
    C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MSTeams_23335.232.2637.4844_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\ms-teams.exe
    (it is not Applocker which prevents the start...)

Has anyone already deployed the new Teams using XenDesktop + WEM?

I would be very grateful for any help - the old Teams is still running flawlessly, but it must be replaced by June 2024...

Best regards, Robert

Nobody out there which uses new Teams 2.x with WEM (Shortcuts)?

On 2/23/2024 at 12:09 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Try this:

shell:appsfolder\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MSTeams

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I’m struggling with the same challenge. The only difference is that we are deploying the start menu via GPO/XML File.

I added <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="shell:appsfolder\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MSTeams" /> in the XML file.

But that’s not working.

I think I will raise a Microsoft Ticket and update you if there are any news from the ticket.

You can try this:

You can also create a Managed Application as a normal application (not UWP) by using the following configuration: 

Choose New Application... from the context menu.

In the Title field use a desired name for the managed application.

Configure the Command line, Working directory and Parameters fields as follows: 

Command line:  %windir%\SYSTEM32\explorer.exe
Working directory: %windir%\SYSTEM32
Parameters: shell:AppsFolder\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MSTeams

see also: https://forums.ivanti.com/s/article/HOWTO-Add-the-New-Microsoft-Teams-app-as-a-managed-application?language=en_US

I have still the problem that applocker blocks new Teams also if I set the rule:

image.thumb.png.e9c0ab54c7d3a7bbad9edde75fa02af9.png

robert

23 hours ago, Robert Madrian said:

You can try this:

You can also create a Managed Application as a normal application (not UWP) by using the following configuration: 

Choose New Application... from the context menu.

In the Title field use a desired name for the managed application.

Configure the Command line, Working directory and Parameters fields as follows: 

Command line:  %windir%\SYSTEM32\explorer.exe
Working directory: %windir%\SYSTEM32
Parameters: shell:AppsFolder\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MSTeams

see also: https://forums.ivanti.com/s/article/HOWTO-Add-the-New-Microsoft-Teams-app-as-a-managed-application?language=en_US

I have still the problem that applocker blocks new Teams also if I set the rule:

image.thumb.png.e9c0ab54c7d3a7bbad9edde75fa02af9.png

robert

you have to add also WebView2:

image.thumb.png.8238c1e214385c01d2454da4f98333d5.png