Updated Privacy Statement

Upgrade VAAD database upgrade

Dennis Haschke

Question

Hi,

i have upgraded VAAD to V. 2311.
After the upgrade i startet my studio and select automatic database upgrade. My databases are hostet on a dedicated SQL 2022 server.
I try it with the SA user and with a domain user with the sysadmin role. I get the message that i have insufficient rights to upgrade the database.
Then i try it with the domin user i have used for the initial installation. That works for me.
But why not the SA user or the other domain user with sysadmin role in SQL?
All domain users are local administrators. The difference is only that the initial user who had worked for me is domain admin.

Regards
Dennis

7 answers to this question

On 2/2/2024 at 4:12 PM, Dennis Haschke said:

I try it with the SA user and with a domain user with the sysadmin role. I get the message that i have insufficient rights to upgrade the database.

Does your domain user was part of security/login for all 3 citrix database ?

Strange, I recently faced similar issue with same error i.e. insufficient rights though the id i was using for upgrade had sysadmin rights on SQL instance level.

Later i added the same id to all 3 databses   security-->users and provided dbowner & syadmin permission then upgrade went smooth without any error.

Hello Denis,

In addition to Ashok's solution. You can check this :

In addition to being a domain user, you must be a local administrator on the machines where you are upgrading product components.

The site database and the site can be upgraded automatically or manually. For an automatic database upgrade, the Studio user’s permissions must include the ability to update the SQL Server database schema (for example, the db_securityadmin or db_owner database role). For details, see Databases.

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/2311/upgrade-migrate/upgrade#ensure-that-you-have-proper-permissions

and this chart:  https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/2311/technical-overview/databases

So yes, make sure the user you use to update the database is part of both groups.

Regards,

François BIAUCE