Welcome to our new Citrix community!

view the contents of a BDM boot partition

mwarr

Question

i want to view the contents of a BDM boot partition to determine if there is a DNS setting  in there. 

using PVS 1912 cu5
Citrix hypervisor 8.2

called Citrix and they thought it couldnt be done.  thought I'd also ask here.  Not happy that this cant be viewed

3 answers to this question

So if this is a BIOS BDM disk then you can't mount it and read anything from the vhd file, everything is binary.    UEFI BDM disk does contain a fat32 file system per UEFI spec which contains  a file that is readable, but still has binary code for the bootstrap.  Technically you should be able to mount this but it has to be done a specific way and once I find the instructions I will post it.  but the ini file is created from the the data entered during the  creation of the BDM file and we do not support modifying the file. 

• Like 1

This is all you would see when mounting the UEFI boot disk The boot file .EFI, which is the binary boot strap and the INI file.   You can not change either.

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name

----                -------------         ------ ----

------        1/31/2024  10:38 AM         818560 BOOTX64.EFI

------        1/31/2024  10:38 AM            886 PVSBOOT.INI

• Like 1
On 2/1/2024 at 8:03 AM, Carl Fallis said:

So if this is a BIOS BDM disk then you can't mount it and read anything from the vhd file, everything is binary.    UEFI BDM disk does contain a fat32 file system per UEFI spec which contains  a file that is readable, but still has binary code for the bootstrap.  Technically you should be able to mount this but it has to be done a specific way and once I find the instructions I will post it.  but the ini file is created from the the data entered during the  creation of the BDM file and we do not support modifying the file. 

Carl, thanks for the help.  Sadly this is BIOS BDM disk.