Xenserver upgrade from 7.5 to 8.2

Question

Hello All

What is the best way to upgrade from XS 7.5 to 8.2. can i use the rolling pool method or does each host have to be upgraded / re-installed from the iso ?

i seem to be finding contradictions from its either possible to a need for a fresh install.

would appreciate any thoughts, and potential Gotchas

Thanks

Dave

4 answers to this question

https://docs.xenserver.com/en-us/citrix-hypervisor/install/upgrade.html

In the official upgrade guide, XS 7.5 seems not to be restricted so you don't have to reinstall ISO on the hosts.

Rolling Pool Upgrade is recommended because it will upgrade the hosts in XenServer pool one by one for the shortest downtime. VM will be automatically moved to another running XenServer host during the progress.

In case of any unexpected events, making data backup is always wise.

Thanks Robert

its still not clear, as far as i am aware 7.1 is newer like 7.5 (just like with XenApp versions where 7.1 was newer than 7.4 for example). think i need to have a look at the partition table to see how many partition there are. if its 4 then think a fresh install is required. needs to be 6 partitions. 

thanks

dave

There was never a supported upgrade process for XenServer 7.5 to Citrix Hypervisor 8.2, there was a supported process for XenServer 7.6 and for XenServer 7.1 CU2 LTS. All of these 7.x releases are now long out of support and there is no supported upgrade process from them to Citrix Hypervisor 8.2 CU1 LTS.

7.1 was not newer than 7.5 but was supported for longer by virtue of it being an LTS release whereas 7.5 was a Current Release which was only supported for 3 months after 7.6 was released. 

Mark

Thanks for making things clearer. So if i have a lot of Citrix Hypervisors hosts running 7.5 and i want to bring them into support are my two options, a fresh instal of hypervisor 8.2 CU1 or a new build using XenServer 8?. the current Hypervisor hosts have enterprise licencing valid until 2030 according to XenCenter.  if that's valid wonder if there is a buy back solution for 8.2CU1 or XS 8 licensing ?

Regards

dave