Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix and Rapsberry Pi: some new issues

Mario Futire

Question

Running Citrix Workspace on a Raspberry Pi is no longer as easy as it used to be.

Since the begin of 2023 a few regressions have broken what used to be a fantastic user experience.

The last working version is 2303 (March).

Anything after 2303 can connect but the video is not refreshed after the initial image is drawn.

64 bit version: a missing file (reported elsewhere in these forums) makes the connection impossible.

I have tried with the previous OS (11-bullseye) and the new one (12-bookworm), 32 bit, 64 bit and the situation is common to all of them.

On top of that, in the most recent version of the OS (12-bookworm), once the section is disconnected, a new connection crashes the desktop session.

In my opinion Citrix+Pi is a fantastic union, and it would be very sad if it were left in the current broken state.

Regards

3 answers to this question

New version (2023.11), same old problems.

64 bit ARM lacks the crypto dll, so the connection can be established but dropped immediately.

Other combinations do no yield anything better, with some connections established, but the screen does not update, others simply dropped.

The last working version on a Raspberry Pi is 2023.3 ARMHF.

It is very sad that Citrix decided to stop any support / test on a raspberry pi.

Too bad there is no solution for missing pdcrypt2.dll. Using ARM64 at Raspberry pi 5 ...no succes in Raspberry OS and no succes in Ubuntu. Please, is there a fix? Also renaming the file is not an option. 

It is possible to run the ARMHF version of Workspace App (which does include PDCRYPT2.DLL) on a Pi 5, but I have found that multiple bug workarounds are needed - when connecting to a CVAD7 2203 LTSR CU4 server environment, at least (which is what I use for testing).  That said, the ARM64 version connects to 2203 LTSR just fine anyway when using the installation default encryption settings.  It looks to me as though PDCRYPT2.DLL (which I guess is missing from the ARM64 port because it contains difficult-to-port 32-bit ARM assembly code?) is only needed for RC5 encryption (is this used by default in recent non-LTSR server releases?).

FYI I have found that when using any version of WA later than 21.11 in a Debian/Ubuntu/Raspbian client context, you must revert to using the old smart card library by changing DriverName=VDSCARDV2.DLL back to DriverName=VDSCARD.DLL in the [SmartCard] section of /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/config/module.ini, or else the client will get "stuck" on logon (even though everything seems to be working from the server perspective).  I have also found that (also for > 21.11) you cannot use EnableUDPAudio=TRUE, and must change that to FALSE in the [ClientAudio] section or else wfica will crash immediately when launching.

Moreover, you must not set H264Enabled=False in wfclient.ini or All_Regions.ini in any version of WA later than 20.12 when running the ARMHF client under a 64-bit kernel (which is necessary for the Pi 5, because it cannot boot a 32-bit kernel) or else wfica will crash randomly after login.  This problem seems to have worsened further in the latest version of WA (24.02), where wfica will get "stuck" after logon if you attempt to turn H.264 off on all of the ports of WA for Linux, including x86_64.

Our particular use case (an extremely minimal Debian variant) also requires setting GnomeKeyringDisabled and StorebrowseIPCDisabled to true in /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/config/AuthManConfig.xml, but those tweaks are probably(?) not needed on a more complete Debian/Ubuntu/Raspbian install.