Updated Privacy Statement

PVS Configuration Wizard and Azure detection

dpalchu521

Question

Does anyone know what the Configuration Wizard checks for to determine if the PVS server is running on Azure? I have several on prem built VM's that I was trying to install PVS server on and the config log kept detecting them as running in cloud and blocking the setup of TFTP and PXE. I ran procmon but it comes up with 100s of reg entries.  I dont understand why this could not have been a question in the install and not "automatic" detection.

2 answers to this question

Currently PVS uses the presence of the Azure Management Agent service (SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WindowsAzureGuestAgent) to indicate it is running in Azure. We have noticed that some recent updates have resulted in this service being installed on-premise as well for some unknown reason.

For the moment, deleting this key from the registry is the workaround.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Simon Graham said:

Currently PVS uses the presence of the Azure Management Agent service (SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WindowsAzureGuestAgent) to indicate it is running in Azure. We have noticed that some recent updates have resulted in this service being installed on-premise as well for some unknown reason.

For the moment, deleting this key from the registry is the workaround.

That fixed it. Thank you! Our server build is the same for onprem and Azure and I am guessing some components are the same.