New Windows 11 deployment environment setting only shows RemotePC option when trying to deploy to MCS

Walter Scott

Question

We are deploying a new pilot on Nutanix AHV and when building out a master image for Windows 11 desktop we only have the remotePC option in environment settings. No MCS or a third-party option. We even tried to force the MCS setup using the mastermcsimage. We are using the latest VDA Windows install. So instead of three options you just have one. Is this a known bug or is there a workaround?

6 answers to this question

I figured out what I believe was happening to cause this issue. This is a Nutnaix AHV deployment and per their requirements for setting up TPM 2.0 you will need to select TPM and the secure boot option to install Windows 11. https://portal.nutanix.com/page/documents/details?targetId=Nutanix-Security-Guide:mul-vtpm-overview-pc-c.html

Pretty straight for so far... but that is also the kicker with secure boot enabled you can't install the MCS option on the VDA VM. To test this theory I just cloned the VM's snapshot and on the cloned VM I disabled secure boot. I then just reboot the VM and installed the agent with no issues recognizing the primary options

IMG_0857.thumb.png.8ecabd1be593682fe0eac340c258586c.png

I suppose I could re-enable secure boot (if needed) after the catalog buildout.

• Like 1

Guys.... this is not an issue with the nutanix plugins the Cloud Connectors are set up and the host connection is set up as well. They have other catalogs using this environment. The Windows 11 VDA install both from the iso and individual download shows only the RemotePC option. Is this a bug that someone else has seen or something else? image.thumb.png.f169b0ec6f2fa2d82af9bdef42eb65c2.pngimage.thumb.png.19642dd419a8c215021888d62dc9819f.png

The question is what could cause the installer to not recognized the other install options and how to get pass it. 

Edited by Walter Scott
updated photos for review

I figured out what I believe was happening to cause this issue. This is a Nutnaix AHV deployment and per their requirements for setting up TPM 2.0 you will need to select TPM and the secure boot option to install Windows 11. https://portal.nutanix.com/page/documents/details?targetId=Nutanix-Security-Guide:mul-vtpm-overview-pc-c.html

Pretty straight for so far... but that is also the kicker with secure boot enabled you can't install the MCS option on the VDA VM. To test this theory I just cloned the VM's snapshot and on the cloned VM I disabled secure boot. I then just reboot the VM and installed the agent with no issues recognizing the primary options

IMG_0857.thumb.png.8ecabd1be593682fe0eac340c258586c.png

I suppose I could re-enable secure boot (if needed) after the catalog buildout.

So reviewing Citrix’s hidden documentation links… you get this 

“When using UEFI, consider that this support extends to physical machines that support UEFI. Secure boot is only supported on Hyper-V 2016 and newer versions. ESX must use version 7.0 update 3 or later for secure boot implementations.” There is no mention of support for AHV as well secure boot doesn’t support snapshots etc… 

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/provisioning/current-release/system-requirements.html (Bottom of the page)