Can you stream a template/mandatory profile?

Matthew Roak

Question

I'm starting to mess around with WEM, and I'm curious if you can do profile streaming with a template/mandatory profile? My goal is to have optimal login speeds, and I don't necessarily need a profile per user on my user store because they aren't saving anything. My machine catalog is single session virtual, user data is discarded on reboot, and allocation type is random. We're using WEM 2206 and our VDA version is 2203. It's a lab environment, so we have multiple users, but they are generic like labuser01, labuser02, etc.

On my master vm, I logged in as a user and made all of my fine tuning and tweaks. I copied that profile over to a network location and pointed WEM to it under the template profile path.

Then from workspace, I log in as a user and their profiles matches the template profile which is what I want, but the login time is really slow.

I hope this makes sense, and thank you for the time taken to read this and effort to help out.

5 answers to this question

you can simplify this entirely if you do NOT need a profile, then your best bet is to optimize the default user profile and simply use local profiles

My suggestion here would be to use the vmware optimization tool (yes yes I know this is Citrix but the vmware tool is better out of the box) and use the "sync to default user profile" feature (which is awesome)

We use local profiles in benchmarking scenarios and can easily get 5-6 second logons with this model using the above logic

• Like 2
7 hours ago, James Kindon said:

you can simplify this entirely if you do NOT need a profile, then your best bet is to optimize the default user profile and simply use local profiles

My suggestion here would be to use the vmware optimization tool (yes yes I know this is Citrix but the vmware tool is better out of the box) and use the "sync to default user profile" feature (which is awesome)

We use local profiles in benchmarking scenarios and can easily get 5-6 second logons with this model using the above logic

Great info, ty. I like simplified things.

Are you using WEM on yours? Just curious. So I really wouldn't even need to do profile management via WEM on mine. The user would log in, the profile generates from the default profile? I'd be really happy with those logon times. I'm going to start working on this now.

2 hours ago, Matthew Roak said:

Great info, ty. I like simplified things.

Are you using WEM on yours? Just curious. So I really wouldn't even need to do profile management via WEM on mine. The user would log in, the profile generates from the default profile? I'd be really happy with those logon times. I'm going to start working on this now.

I didn't see the "sync to default user profile", but I see under generalize, there's a copy profile check box. Is that what you are referring to? If not, can you point me in the right direction?

Thank you again for your time.