Server 2022 Windows disabled (wsus) update service enables by itself

Question

We're running Server 2022 in a test environment. Everything seems to be ok, unless the Windws Update Service enables itself.

We've disabled the service as best practice on the golden master imager. The VDAs (MCS) starting also with disabled service,

but after a while, the service goes to "manualy" and starts itself.

We checked out any GPO setting, but there is nothing. Also the productive VDAs with Server 2019 and same GPOs have still disabled
WSUS service.

In eventlogs in system we've seen entries which says in periodicaly times, that service is enabled and started (sorry only in german
available:

image.thumb.png.2350984d2bf73fb75847374a536015c6.png

Is there anyone facing same issue ?

7 answers to this question

I have exactly the same phenomenon.
However, I cannot uninstall KB5021249. I have now waited for the February Microsoft patches, but brought nothing. I ran the Citrix Optimizer again, but that didn't work either.
I am really desperate, because the PVS image with self-activating Windows updates is totally unusable. Must be more people with the problem here?

Anyone resolve this issue yet? I am experiencing this same issue with Windows 10 22H2 December 2022 updates.  No matter how I force disable Windows update service it always re-enables.  This must be a new feature of Windows 10 to force windows updates. This is really frustrating when you have a non-persistent image.  I may have to roll back the updates until there is a fix.