Mixing In-Place and Parallel Citrix upgrade.

Darman

Question

Hi Everyone, 

We have almost upgraded our Citrix environment from 1912ltsr to 2203ltsr 

Here break down of the upgrade process:

1 -First of all, the two old DDCs(Windows 2016) are upgraded(In-place) to 2203ltsr, then joined to new DDCs (Windows 2019) , and

removed old DDCs.

Final Step of the upgrade:

2-Secondaly, Upgraded (In-place from 1912 to 2203ltsr )the 2 Storefronts ( Windows 2016); 

We have two Storefronts 2203ltsr (Windows 2019), and would like to join the old storefronts, how can we swap them ?

The Storefronts are in different Windows versions, so we would like to remove Storefronts that are in  Windows 2016, and

join the new Storefronts that are in Windows 2019.( We don't want to change current URL of the old Storefronts).

Thanks,

Akio

11 answers to this question

Carl, Thanks for responding to my question, 

I hope my next question does not confuse you,  when you say swapping Storefronts do you mean the following, 

changing the IP address or FQDN from the old  Storefront to new Storefront or using the same URL while updating the Gateway settings , could you please 

emphasize the configuration process of involving swapping Storefronts.

Thank,

Akio

You can export storefront settings to a file and then import them to guarantee identical configurations. The process I would take there is 

Build new Servers -> deploy identical version of StoreFront to that which is in prod -> Export/Import StoreFront configuration -> Upgrade new StoreFront to appropriate release

The limitation with the export/import is that the versions MUST be identical https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/storefront/1912-ltsr/export-import-storefront-config.html

14 hours ago, James Kindon said:

You can export storefront settings to a file and then import them to guarantee identical configurations. The process I would take there is 

Build new Servers -> deploy identical version of StoreFront to that which is in prod -> Export/Import StoreFront configuration -> Upgrade new StoreFront to appropriate release

The limitation with the export/import is that the versions MUST be identical https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/storefront/1912-ltsr/export-import-storefront-config.html

Just to clear up the point.

Version , you mean the Storefront version, not necessarily the Operating systems,  old storefronts are on windows 2016 and new Storefronts are on Windows 2019, does it mean we can still export and import configurations.

Edited by Akiyo Hiroshi
On 1/3/2023 at 4:58 PM, James Kindon said:

yes, exactly this. OS doesn't matter, it's the StoreFront version

Storefronts versions are different as well. STF1 -3.2 version while new STF is in 1912., I guess we can't import/export configurations.