IntelliCache Question - Cannot creat MachineCatalog

Uwe Meyer

Question

Hi,

we have an working XenApp Farm. Now i would like to use the intelliCache function. I delete the local Storage and recreate them with an ext3 Filesystem and enable the host Caching.

I follow this Articel: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-hypervisor/storage/intellicache.html

Now i create a new Ressource in Citrix Studio with IntelliCache enabled and shared Storage.

Then the MachineCatalog was created with the following error:

Inner Error:
Storage does not support local storage caching

ErrorID : PluginUtilities.Exceptions.OperationNotAvailableException
TaskErrorInformation : PluginUtilities.Exceptions.OperationNotAvailableException: Storage does not support local storage caching ---> PluginUtilities.Exceptions.OperationNotAvailableException: Storage does not support local storage caching
   bei Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.XenMachineManager.CreateClone(String vmId, IDiskImage parentDisk, Int32 diskIndex, Boolean persistent, Boolean isFullClone, Boolean useLocalSrCaching, Boolean indexCanChange)
   bei Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.XenMachineManager.CreateVM(String name, IVMMetadata metadata, Int32 cpuCount, Int32 memory, String networkId, Boolean enableNetwork, Boolean tagVms, Boolean useLocalStorageCaching, IList`1 disks, String storageId, Boolean useSparseUpload, INetworkInterfaceDetails networkInterfaceDetails, IHypGpuType[] gpuGroup)
   bei Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.XenHypervisor.<>c__DisplayClass40_0.<BeginCreateCompleteVM>b__0(XenMachineManager manager)
   bei Citrix.HypervisorCommunicationsLibrary.TaskRunItem`2.Run(T manager)
   bei HypervisorsCommon.HCL.TaskRunner`1.RunNextTask()
   --- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung ---

Server stack trace:
   bei HypervisorsCommon.HCL.TaskScheduler`1.CompleteTask(IAsyncResult result)
   bei HypervisorsCommon.HCL.TaskScheduler`1.CompleteTask[TTask](IAsyncResult result)
   bei Citrix.PoolManagement.VMManager.VmmImplementation.XenEnterprise.XenHypervisor.EndCreateCompleteVM(IHostingUnitDetails hostingUnit, IAsyncResult result)
   bei Citrix.HypervisorCommunicationsLibrary.AddInSideAdapter.IHypervisor_AddInViewToContractAdapter.EndCreateCompleteVM(IHostingUnitDetailsContract hostingUnit, IAsyncResult result)
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   bei Citrix.HypervisorCommunicationsLibrary.Contracts.IHypervisorContract.EndCreateCompleteVM(IHostingUnitDetailsContract hostingUnit, IAsyncResult result)
   bei Citrix.HypervisorCommunicationsLibrary.HostSideAdapter.IHypervisor_ContractToHostViewAdapter.EndCreateCompleteVM(IHostingUnitDetails hostingUnit, IAsyncResult result)
   bei RemoteHCLClient.Hypervisor.LoggedHypervisor.EndCreateCompleteVM(IHostingUnitDetails hostingUnit, IAsyncResult result)
   bei Citrix.MachineCreation.NewProvVMSupport.NewProvVMLogic.CreateVmCallback(IAsyncResult result)

Can someone help?

Is there a good tutorial for this?

Thanks for help.

Regards

Uwe

2 answers to this question

Have you followed these instructions as well? (The formatting on the docs page is a bit wonky, I'll see if we can get that fixed)

xe host-disable host=hostname
localsr=`xe sr-list type=ext host=hostname params=uuid --minimal`
xe host-enable-local-storage-caching host=hostname sr-uuid=$localsr
xe host-enable host=hostname

In particular the host-enable-local-storage-caching is crucial

Also, if that was an existing machine catalog then I think you might need to either recreate it or make some configuration changes to the Hosting Connection (I can't remember how much you're allowed to change on an active connection and how much has to be set on creating a new one).