The future is here

Mark Syms

Question

8 answers to this question

Mark,

This looks very interesting but I've got a concern.

Will there be future releases of Hypervisor supported for on-premises-only installations or will 8.2 CU1 (or 8.2 with some future CU) be the last?  I have several clients in high security environments where cloud-based  anything is forbidden.

Jeff

13 hours ago, Jeff Berntsen said:

Will there be future releases of Hypervisor supported for on-premises-only installations or will 8.2 CU1 (or 8.2 with some future CU) be the last?  I have several clients in high security environments where cloud-based  anything is forbidden.

It is likely that Citrix Hypervisor 9 when it happens will have an on-premises LTS version but those plans are not yet in place.

Jeff,

If you're willing, we'd like to get more input from you and also do bi-directional feedback on the concerns that your customers may have and feed that into any future plans for new versions. Ideally I guess we'd like to make it so that they were comfortable taking a cloud management plane for the on premises component but that may of course not be possible depending on the exact reasons and problems they see with doing that.

Thanks,

Mark.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:57 AM, Mark Syms said:

Jeff,

If you're willing, we'd like to get more input from you and also do bi-directional feedback on the concerns that your customers may have and feed that into any future plans for new versions. Ideally I guess we'd like to make it so that they were comfortable taking a cloud management plane for the on premises component but that may of course not be possible depending on the exact reasons and problems they see with doing that.

Mark,

The clients I'm concerned about are mainly government contractors and my concerns are over how a cloud-based management solution would fit the security requirements in CMMC 2.0 for defense contractors.  Most on-premises systems can be secured well enough to comply but that's not always the case with cloud-based systems.  Currently, their systems, still on 7.1 CU2 with an upgrade to 8.2 CU1 being evaluated, are being managed by a combination of dedicated management networks and VPNs.  Patches are normally downloaded and applied manually.

I think as long as cloud-based management or a direct Internet connection won't be a hard requirement in CH going forward (I'm assuming that's what you meant by a likely on-premises CH 9.x LTS if and when that happens), then things will probably be fine.

Thanks for that update Jeff, I'll take that to the planning team.

You should note that XenServer 7.1 CU2 goes End of Life and End of Support in 1 week from today after which time no further security fixes will be released for it. So, that upgrade evaluation needs to get hurried up or your customers are going to be running on unsecure systems. We are aware that there will be more Security Fixes to Citrix Hypervisor 8.2 CU1 in the coming months as security researchers discover new novel ways to exploit CPU hardware speculative execution vulnerabilities and these issues will now only be fixed on Citrix Hypervisor 8.2 CU1 and Citrix Hypervisor 8 Cloud edition.

Mark.