App layering 2206, missing citrix wmi classes.

Question

I dont know if this happened to anyone else, but i recently updated our ELM to 2206, and published a new image, so far ive had to strange issues,

1. one of my app layers had office runtimes installed which addded some folders in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Internal, when publishing the image, the visual studio runtime shows as installed but the files from that layer are missing, it always was fine previous publishes..

2. all citrix WMI classes are not registered that come from the platform layer. the .mof files are all there, but the classes missing, have to manually register them.

I already have a ticket opened with citrix, but curious if others had something similar..

We have some similar issues after upgrading the ELM to 2206

If I check the old situation we had 591 folder showing up in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL

After the upgrade there are only 369 folders left in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL

Our SCOM Management Console and SCCM Agent wont run, It looks like same issue.

If I start the SCOM Manager it shows an error:

The exception message was: Could not load file or

assembly Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.OperationsManager

And this folders/folders are also located in:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL

We having same issue here.

Published different images and some seem not to have complete assemblies, which cause applications to be failing to launch on some images.

I thought the main thing in v2206 is migration of remaining menu items to Edge, with the discontinuation of IE.

It more than that has been done in this particular version

We had the issue here too. First noticed when Ms Visual Studio 2019 AppLayer not merged/composited correctly, This caused Vda registrations to fail as a missing entry in GAC_MSIL (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Diagnostics.ServiceModelSink) which is referenced in 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\machine.config' caused the BrokerAgent to fail. Initially we implemented a workaround to remove <commonBehaviors><endpointBehaviors><Microsoft.VisualStudio.Diagnostics.ServiceModelSink.behavior/></endpointBehaviors> from the machine.config.

We have subsequently rolled back to 2204 without issue. 

@Bodo.   Saw issues with registration too, and ran this to determine GAC_MSIL was the cause --> Citrix Health Assistant - Troubleshoot VDA Registration and Session Launch.   @Nick - Never tried that. Just rolled back Build tools, and appliance to 2204.  Now a happy man after 40 hrs of troubleshooting multiple builds ?

20 minutes ago, Nick Panaccio said:

Do we just need to submit a ticket to get access to the private fix? I'm caught between a rock and a hard place, because I can't restore from backup at the moment, but need to move forward with my next image.

Id open a call indeed, this issue looks to have been tracked under bug id UNI-87356 , my case number was 81266211 maybe you can reference that case.

Also created a ticket and I received the version 22.6.1.1005

When the application is in Image then the application will work.

But we also have some elastic layers like the SCOM Operations Console.

And this is still not fixed in version 22.6.1.1005

The folders are still missing in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL

On 7/12/2022 at 1:02 PM, Sergio Masone1709161115 said:

Hi,

I will test an export today and get back to you with results. as for GA, I have asked them this question. will get back to this thread once I have an answer.

Hi Sergio,

have you already been able to test the layer export? was it succesful?

I submitted a ticket with Citrix and asked for the private fix, referencing everything above, and they told me that the WMI issues were fixed with the 2206 build and that I didn't need any private fix. Okay then. Guess it was a good thing I was able to restore my appliance from backup, so I'll hang out on 2204 until the next release.

On 7/14/2022 at 11:45 AM, Nick Panaccio said:

I submitted a ticket with Citrix and asked for the private fix, referencing everything above, and they told me that the WMI issues were fixed with the 2206 build and that I didn't need any private fix. Okay then. Guess it was a good thing I was able to restore my appliance from backup, so I'll hang out on 2204 until the next release.

See - https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX461461/app-layering-2206-wmi-applications-relying-on-the-global-assembly-cache-gac-fail-to-run

On 7/11/2022 at 2:44 PM, Nick Panaccio said:

Out of curiosity, do you guys see this issue if you leave the OS layer on the old build tools? Wondering if it's the actual appliance upgrade or the OS tools (or both, I guess).

Yes, this was experienced with ELM being 2206, while the OS tool was 2202

On 7/12/2022 at 12:20 AM, Sergio Masone1709161115 said:

The build they provided quick testing shows to have resolved both my issues with GAC folder and citrix WMI classes missing. Will do more tests to make sure it didnt break anything else but first look is good. 

Good to know that they provides a fix.

My ticket was freeze even before I could provide them with  results of the test requested for. Anyway we have since rolled back to 2202 after a long night efforts.