Optimized Teams users cannot see incoming screen shared from other Teams users

Nick Panaccio

Question

This is a bit of a weird one, and I've only seen it happen in a large Teams meeting. The presenter is using a user-based version of Teams (latest build) on their Windows 10 laptop, and sharing out their first monitor (1080p). If you join the meeting in Citrix Desktop using Teams installed in the VDA (machine-based, optimized) early enough, you can see the shared content. However, if a certain number of others are already in the meeting - and I don't know what this number is - then optimized Teams users cannot see the incoming screen sharing; they just see a gallery view of the users (not video). However, if I disable Teams optimization in Citrix via Studio, they can see the incoming screen sharing in this meeting every time.

My environment:

W10 20H2 VDA

1912 LTSR CU3 (saw it in my previous CU2 image, as well)

Teams (machine-based, optimized) 1.4.0.22976; also experienced this issue on the previous 2 builds, .22472, etc.

CWA 2107 (saw it in CWA 2105, as well)

Any ideas here? I don't see this listed as a limitation anywhere, and it's driving me nuts.

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Nick Panaccio said:

This is a bit of a weird one, and I've only seen it happen in a large Teams meeting. The presenter is using a user-based version of Teams (latest build) on their Windows 10 laptop, and sharing out their first monitor (1080p). If you join the meeting in Citrix Desktop using Teams installed in the VDA (machine-based, optimized) early enough, you can see the shared content. However, if a certain number of others are already in the meeting - and I don't know what this number is - then optimized Teams users cannot see the incoming screen sharing; they just see a gallery view of the users (not video). However, if I disable Teams optimization in Citrix via Studio, they can see the incoming screen sharing in this meeting every time.

My environment:

W10 20H2 VDA

1912 LTSR CU3 (saw it in my previous CU2 image, as well)

Teams (machine-based, optimized) 1.4.0.22976; also experienced this issue on the previous 2 builds, .22472, etc.

CWA 2107 (saw it in CWA 2105, as well)

Any ideas here? I don't see this listed as a limitation anywhere, and it's driving me nuts.

I dont even have an hypothesis.

The fact that disabling optimization makes the screensharing work is OK, since then Teams uses a different media engine (the native one).

The fact that only after X number of users joined the meeting breaks screensharing is the perplexing one.

I can only suggest you open a tech support case.

Otherwise, look at the webrpc logs of the user who is broken.

From CTX253754:

Troubleshooting:

Common issues with screensharing, as perceived by the other peer, are:
- low resolution
- black window instead of the actual screen
- screen freeze on the sender's side

The webrpc.txt logs (AppData\Local\Temp\HdxRtcEngine in the user's device, not the VDA) are the best source for troubleshooting such issues.

HdxTeams.exe / HdxRtcEngine.exe contains a bandwidth estimator that will allow Teams to pick the best resolution that can be sustained by the network, and sometimes it can take a few seconds for it to converge to the right value. So screensharing might actually start with a low resolution before it jumps to a higher one.
In the logs, the parameter "webrtcapi.DesktopCapture" can be used for quick finds, and if there are errors they would be logged as "webrtcapi.DesktopCapture Error:". 
Black windows can be caused by issues on the sender's side (user capturing) or the receiver's side (user rendering the stream).
For example, if the error is on the sender's side the following entry could be seen:
webrtcapi.DesktopCapture Error: OnCaptureResult. invalid cropping rectangle (x = 0 y = 0 width = 0 height = 0)

On 9/30/2021 at 11:31 AM, Nick Panaccio said:

So when you generate support logs from Teams, it doesn't include that file? Well isn't that just awfully convenient. I guess I have to wait until next Wednesday to attempt this again to gather everything.

Did you ever get a resolution on this issue? 

On 7/23/2022 at 3:09 PM, shocko said:

Did you ever get a resolution on this issue? 

We did not, no. Only one user ever had the issue, and after a while he couldn't spend as much time troubleshooting as Citrix would have liked (CDF traces, etc.), so the ticket basically faded into nothingness.