Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MS Edge force overlapping User Layer

terranovashipping

Question

Hello all,

It seems that upon my initial deployment i didn't fully blocked MS Edge updates neither have removed Edge from the OS Layer.

So therefore most of my users have updated their Edge browser and did an overwrite on some of the Application Files on the User Layer.

After updating from the image issue with Edge occured since there is a file difference.

Since Edge is installed on every layer (OS Layer, Platform) I can't find a way to force of the User Layer to reset it (e.g. via using the Citrix User Layer Management Utility).

I have tried to uninstall Edge on the OS Layer and then updated the Platform Layer so it was also removed and add it on via an App Layer, but finally users end up without having Edge at all since Platform Layer does not contain Edge.

Any idea to outcome this issue?

17 answers to this question

For app layers and your platform layer where you got edge updates you need to rebuild them now that you have disabled updates in the is layer. Remember to disable the  scheduled tasks for edge updates also they run. Updates on logon. 

The user layer is harder. You would have to mount each layer on a non app layered desktop to clean out any edge files assuming you can figure out where they are.  If not you may have to just delete the user layers to fix it. 

1 minute ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

For app layers and your platform layer where you got edge updates you need to rebuild them now that you have disabled updates in the is layer. Remember to disable the  scheduled tasks for edge updates also they run. Updates on logon. 

The user layer is harder. You would have to mount each layer on a non app layered desktop to clean out any edge files assuming you can figure out where they are.  If not you may have to just delete the user layers to fix it. 

So i can just delete the Application folder on every VHD and this resets the User Layer modification?

I can tolerate this process if its working.

But the think is that although Edge is installed on an App Layer, since i have removed it on the Platform Layer via updating the layer, the application is being lost on the final image.

You cant delete edge in a layer because we  remember deletes and then woukd keep all those files deleted  thats why you need to make new platform and app layers if they were affected. The user layer us the highest priority layer so for that you have no choice but to delete it or try to fix it from a non app layered machine. That way it will remove the files without marking them as deleted.  

The issue here is that i need to create a new Platform Layer rather than update my current used one.

Since it had Edge installed, after updating from the OS Layer Edge was removed.

Upon deployment even though Edge has been added to a App Layer it remembers the Deletion on the Platform and the final Image does not have Edge as an application.

Only if the application is again installed on the User which ovewrites everything.

Edge remains uninstalled.

Since Platform Layer overwrites the App Layer and Edge was installed but removed afterwards, then I assume it keeps it removed.

So for Edge it is best advised to deploy updates on the Platform Layer and disable updates on OS and every other Layer, even uninstall it.

Messed up but seems to be the only working, since Edge is embedded in the Operating System nowadays.

Even uninstalling is a little bit messy.

Im not sure why you think a new platform layer would affect edge it does not.  I have edge in the os layer with the updates disabled and i have no issues.  

if you create a new platform layer without edge in it then the next layer down in the layer priority will be where edge comes from. 

1 minute ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Im not sure why you think a new platform layer would affect edge it does not.  I have edge in the os layer with the updates disabled and i have no issues.  

if you create a new platform layer without edge in it then the next layer down in the layer priority will be where edge comes from. 

Thats the thing. 

I need a new Platform Layer without Edge EVER installed on it.

But I am handling a Platform Layer that had already Edge installed and thus was facing an issue how to overcome that without creating a new Platform.

Hello all!

I have the same problem with Edge missing in the published image.

I try to recreate a new platform layer but Edge is reinstalling each time itself, how can I prevent this M$ bulls... behaviour? Do I have to modify OS layer to disable something? gpedit.msc?

Thank you for your help.

Ray

Sorry, I am returning to this topic since I am strungling to fix that in my environment and still can't after multiple tries and documents.

I have the exact same behaviour and polution on the application layers.

The only possible fix that I am doing all this time, is updating MS Edge on the platfrom layer and fixing issues on the user layer via scripts.

Whatever I do I haven't managed to install Edge and work in an application layer.

I used this document.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX399422/app-layering-how-to-configure-edge-in-an-app-layering-environment

Within the OS Layer

Create the folder "C:\Program Files\Unidesk\Uniservice\UserExclusions"

Created the exclusion txt file as documented

Created an App Layer and installed Edge (date 20/9/2023)

Create a new Platform using the updated OS Layer with the Edge exclusion.

Created the new image including the new Edge App Layer, new Platform new OS.

Published and updated a catalogue.

Used the utility to clear the user's layer 

image.thumb.png.93e0fd5b685caf092fb0b8797bd4f17d.png

Mounted the user's vhd and deleted any files and folders

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge*

Dismounted the user VHD.

Powered on the machine and logged in.

When opening the edge application, i get this error

image.thumb.png.e1b41e96d5890cd4e34187e7c0b2a9a8.png

When i check the edge folder i find out that there is another older msedge.exe is polluting my VDA which i dont know where it comes from.

image.thumb.png.ad1dc9b6651295389f380a13a23cff0b.png

I am frustrated with all this, hunders of hours wasted and getting back to zero.

In the meantime you clearly state that it works for you and I shouldn't use the Platform Layer for Edge.

Although the relevant Citrix document mentions that at the end, suggests to maintain Edge at the platform layer as mentioned in Option 1.

Pollution in your platform layer

This scenario poses a particularly more difficult problem.  The easiest solution and best practice option is to recreate the platform layer using the new OS revision, created earlier, that disabled the update of Edge.
The main problem stems from the Platform Layer always treated as the highest priority layer.  If there is any pollution in the Platform Layer, that pollution will be the files that are written to the Image last and will result in the layer being the latest. 
If there is no option of re-creating the Platform Layer, there are two options to choose from:
Option 1:

Update Edge in your platform layer and use that layer as your Edge layer.  There are no other changes required.

Option 2:

Deploy Edge as an elastic layer.  As noted earlier, this requires removing the EdgeExclusions.txt file and forces the admin to figure out how to prevent users from doing the upgrade on their own whenever they go into the about window.  This option requires more research, and if it is the only option available, please open a Support Case and we will engage Engineering on next steps.