Updated Privacy Statement

XenServer7 Cannot Connect via XenCenter and other issues

Question

Greetings XenServer Masters!

I was hoping I could perhaps get some direction on what to do here. I have a server that I am not able to connect to via XenCenter. I'll try to list out all of the information that I have with the troubleshooting thus far. 

- Cannot connect via XenCenter
- When trying to run some commands I get (Connection refused) ( xe vm-disk-list  for example)
- I ran df and the /sda1 as well as all of the others (with the exception of /tmp/loop) had plenty of space
- The  xe-toolstack-restart  had the multipath failed but when I restarted the xapi service and reran the tool restart it was in OK status
- The network interface shows no interfaces present
- I CAN ping the server and SSH to it (with the limitations of many commands being borked)
I have a log file exported and saved here -  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eZyoZbGMI92Tib9buGH_9VUiynU7smpZ?usp=sharing -

There are several errors - I am thinking it may seem that I have to reinstall XenServer? There are not any known currently good backups (which is very bad) of this device. 
I am not really a XenServer guru and generally would have little to no business working on this but the owner is in dire need.  I really appreciate any insight or help that you could provide. Thank you!

5 answers to this question

If no interfaces present (have seen this happen before), you could try rebooting. If they do not come back, you may have to manually reconfigure them, alas. Is this host part of a pool?

If so and not the master, you could trey ejecting it from the pool (but note that any local SR(s) will be destroyed !!!) and re-attach the host back to the pool; it should then pick up the common networks (excepting things like iSCSI connectors, which would have to be redone by hand).

-=Tobias

3 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

If no interfaces present (have seen this happen before), you could try rebooting. If they do not come back, you may have to manually reconfigure them, alas. Is this host part of a pool?

If so and not the master, you could trey ejecting it from the pool (but note that any local SR(s) will be destroyed !!!) and re-attach the host back to the pool; it should then pick up the common networks (excepting things like iSCSI connectors, which would have to be redone by hand).

-=Tobias

It's a standalone host and the storage is also on the same server. There are two VM's on the host. We did try several reboots and unfortunately we didn't have much luck.

From what I understand, we are at the point of doing a "clean" install, not selecting a storage device for the VM's, and hope we can re-attach/create VM's after the reinstall. I may be missing something (I am novice extreme), so please let me know if there may be another suitable option. 

Also - thank you for your previous response!

1 hour ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Can't you manually re-create the networks?

-=Tobias

I had a friendly linux master guru jump on it with me and we got it back in action. 

I may lose things in translation here but he said the databases were corrupted; he recreated them and reimported and mapped the VM's, remapped the NIC to the host and made the networks. We are back in action. 

Thanks for your assistance and direction @Tobias Kreidl