Anybody having issues 1912 CU2?

Dennis Parker

Question

16 answers to this question

Hi and thanks for the response.
Servers are not crashing/BSOD. Users remain connected, it just goes unregistered. Without any concrete proof, evidence we have points to Mac Big Sur clients causing the Citrix Desktop Service (Broker) on the VDA to get into a sort of race condition. Below is a post of mine from a different forum further explaining the situation.

These servers were working normally, with Mac clients until I installed 1912 CU2, so I'm pretty certain at this point that'll be the root cause. I was hoping for a fix before having to rollback. Brand new client for us had a rough couple of days.
It's not 100% consistent even with the two worst offending servers. Clients get connected, several of them in fact, without any issue. Then something will cause the VDA to become Unregistered. Once that happens, even restarting the Citrix Desktop Service doesn't allow new sessions to connect. The server will successfully register, but the Session Count in Studio will remain at 0. No Windows or Mac clients are able to connect. It seems that the Mac clients are the ones that seem to kick the issue off, but I'm not sure if it is when they are logging in or sometime after.
I can get the servers to start working again eventually by logging of users one at a time and restarting the Citrix Desktop Service. I know when users will be able to log back in again because the Session Count in Studio will start to show the actual number again. It hasn't been consistent about what session will free the server up. It could be a Mac or a Windows client...it could be a disconnected or connected session. I didn't have the forethought to see if it was a reconnected session. There's nothing I can see that would cause these servers to be worse than the rest of our clients, other than this being a new client and didn't get our recommendation to hold off on Big Sur and they have a lot of Mac clients, where most run Windows most of the time.
I have been through the ListOfDDCs and with Citrix Support added ListOfSIDs as well as a test. I use a GPO to push DDC names, not SIDs normally and this is all pretty stable until 1912 CU2.
The event on the VDA side is below but everything points at fixes we already attempted:
The Citrix Desktop Service's connection to the Citrix Desktop Delivery Controller Service was terminated. The Citrix Desktop Delivery Controller Service is running on server 'server003.domain.com'.
Check that there is no active firewall blocking the controller communicating with this machine.
Please refer to Citrix Knowledge Base article CTX117248 for further information.
Error details:
Keep-alive request was rejected.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:05 PM, Dennis Parker said:

Updated to 1912 CU2. Anybody having issues with servers deregistering?

Dear all,

Yesterday DCCs were upgraded from 1912CU1 to 1912CU2. Today afternoon one Win2016 server with VDA 1912CU1 has been getting into deregistering state. Cycles about 10-15 minutes - to get registered and immediately getting deregistered - warning 1015, Detail: "Keep-alive request was rejected".

Citrix Desktop Service restart helped - VDA keeps to be registered. But a launch of a new user session caused server (VDA) deregistering. Tonight the server is going to be restarted.

Any help/hint is welcomed.

Pavel Stadler

Update on my situation is that it is caused by one (of about 25) administrator account that, when logged in via RDP (does not happen with an ICA connection), causes the deregistration to happen and continue to happen as long as that account remains logged into the server. Once that admin account logs out, everything is good again. Citrix is assigning a developer to work on the issue as it's something in the code causing the issue. I have found one other person with the exact same issue so far and your sounds similar, but possibly different. 

I would recommend logging out any RDP connections to the VDA with the issue, and restart the Citrix Desktop Service from a different machine and see if users can log in again to see if it is more than likely the same issue. 

My Citrix ticket number, if you open a ticket and want to reference it is: 80137286

7 minutes ago, Dennis Parker said:

Update on my situation is that it is caused by one (of about 25) administrator account that, when logged in via RDP (does not happen with an ICA connection), causes the deregistration to happen and continue to happen as long as that account remains logged into the server. Once that admin account logs out, everything is good again. Citrix is assigning a developer to work on the issue as it's something in the code causing the issue. I have found one other person with the exact same issue so far and your sounds similar, but possibly different. 

I would recommend logging out any RDP connections to the VDA with the issue, and restart the Citrix Desktop Service from a different machine and see if users can log in again to see if it is more than likely the same issue. 

My Citrix ticket number, if you open a ticket and want to reference it is: 80137286

Thank you for your update.  My issue behaves a bit differently. In addition the server keeps its registration more than one hour ... just now. Tommorow I will keep my eyws on it. Ordinnary users log into the server via ICA. There is no reason to do it vi RDB. On opposite, many of them establihed a RDP from the server...

Pavel Stadler

To be clear, and add some more details on mine, the server can register with the admin logged in via RDP, but the session count remains at Zero if looked at from Studio. The server will remain registered until another user attempts a connection via ICA, then deregisters and the user can't log in to that server. So potentially it could stay registered for hours, if no user attempted a login. Ordinary users all log in via ICA, only the admin accounts use RDP mostly for consistency across all servers...don't have to remember to use ICA for VDAs and RDP for everything else. 

It may very well be different though. 

14 hours ago, Dennis Parker said:

Case #80173322 openned on my side ...

8 hours ago, Pavel Stadler said:

Yesterday I received a private fix too (for the Broker Service). Looks OK. So lets run it for a while ...

Glad you got the fix pretty quickly. Been running since Monday night in production here. Will be rolling to another site on Sunday. Site was rolled back to CU1 because of the issue and will be rolled forward again with the patch. 

On 12/16/2020 at 11:37 AM, Pavel Stadler said:

Yesterday I received a private fix too (for the Broker Service). Looks OK. So lets run it for a while ...

Hi, we cannot upgrade our environment past 1912 CU2 for the moment and are having these problems with unregistered VDAs and disconnected users when connecting with RDP to our Xenapp servers.

Do you (or anybody else in this forum) maybe have the privet hotfix for the Broker Service you received from Citrix still available and maybe also could share it with us?

Citrix is (off course) saying that we should upgrade to CU3 (or later) to fix this and are not giving out this hotfix anymore, but we are unfortunately not able to do that right now so we are caught in a real yam here.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:37 AM, Pavel Stadler said:

Hi, we cannot upgrade our environment past 1912 CU2 for the moment and are having these problems with unregistered VDAs and disconnected users when connecting with RDP to our Xenapp servers.

Do you (or anybody else in this forum) maybe have the privet hotfix for the Broker Service you received from Citrix still available and maybe also could share it with us?

Citrix is (off course) saying that we should upgrade to CU3 (or later) to fix this and are not giving out this hotfix anymore, but we are unfortunately not able to do that right now so we are caught in a real yam here.

On 12/16/2020 at 5:37 AM, Pavel Stadler said:

Hate to revive an old thread, but we are seeing this exact same problem. In the odd chance you are still around, would love to know what ended up working for you. Citrix support has informed me they aren't able to look up other tickets