Best way to handle Edge Updates

Jimmy Bouma-Holtrop

Question

Hi all,

I'm looking for some input on the "best practice" way to handle updates for the new Edge Chromium. I used to just let Edge update in the OS layer like IE, so when I upgraded to the new Edge I just left it there but now I'm thinking I should break it out since it updates basically like Chrome does. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Specifically, the best way to extract it from the OS layer?

Thanks! 

1 answer to this question

On 11/13/2020 at 6:09 PM, Jimmy Bouma-Holtrop said:

Hi all,

I'm looking for some input on the "best practice" way to handle updates for the new Edge Chromium. I used to just let Edge update in the OS layer like IE, so when I upgraded to the new Edge I just left it there but now I'm thinking I should break it out since it updates basically like Chrome does. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Specifically, the best way to extract it from the OS layer?

Thanks! 

Keep in mind that it's only in my QA environment right now, but I intend to treat it like IE since it's so ingrained with the OS and keep it in the OS layer. Also, Windows Update will update Edge Chromium. Nothing's preventing you from creating an App layer for it, though.