Citrix Workspace App 1912 CU1 Taskbar office apps disappear - moved to tombstones

Björn Schläfli

Question

Hi all

we've updated Citrix Workspace 1907 to 1912 CU1. Some of our customers report now that pinned office Citrix published apps disappear from their taskbar. It affects only office applications, e.g. Google Chrome and others pinned to taskbar are kept. While analyzing this I've noticed that the office links are moved from %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar to a subfolder called Tombstones. I've never heard about that.

It happens while users are working or if they relogin to their computers or if they restart their computers.

Tested with no luck so far:

Reset Workspace App

Reinstall Citrix Workspace App

created a new local Windows 10 user profile

Any ideas?

Edit:

I have tested a bit more.

It only affects applications with file type association (content redirection), which are office applications in our site. And it's not happening with Citrix Workspace App 1907. As soon as I click refresh on Workspace App or do a selfservice.exe -poll the fta icons disappear. Procmon shows Selfservice.exe as the one who removes these links in taskbar.

Difference between non-fta and fta icons is:

non-fta command line -> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\SelfServicePlugin\SelfService.exe" -launch -reg "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\....

fta command line -> AppData\Roaming\Citrix\SelfService\MicrosoftWordCitrix.exe -startmenuShortcut

Edited by xander82
more findings

3 answers to this question