Updated Privacy Statement

Strange Xenserver pool configuration after power failure and reboot !?

Jeacuterocircme HAGUET

Question

Hello 

I have a XS 7.1CU2 pool with 3 servers.

Unfortunatly, we had a power failure 2 weeks ago.

On the first reboot, I was not able to contact the pool using XenCenter ...

Then, I have rebooted one by one each server, and I was able to contact the pool

I could restart all the VMs, and everything were up and running.

So far, so good ...

But, there are still some configuration issues I guess it would be better to understand and to fix: 

On server slave 1 and 2 

- "Status display" shows "No network configured" (Screenshot #1)

- "Display NICs" is empty, (despite everything seems to work)

On server slave 2

+ 'VMs running on this host' is empty (despite there ARE VMs running)

+ 'All VMs' displays "'NoneType' object has no attribute 'xenapi'"  (Screenshot #2)

Any suggestions ? 

26-08-2020 10-01-05.png

26-08-2020 10-02-06.png

4 answers to this question

For the server with no network, I'd try rebooting it a couple of times. If that fails, you'll need to do an emergency network reset back to a single primary management interface, and then see if it picks up the other network settings from the pool master (which obviously should be a different host). Some network settings, like iSCSI and NFS, will likely need to then ben manually reconfigured.

-=Tobias

I wouldn't worry so much about the network not showing, I seem to remember some versions of XenServer having that issue. 

The VM's not showing is more troubling.  Since its slaves with issues at least rebuilding is always a worst case scenario. I would

try xe-toolstack-restart on the slaves and on the master in addition to xe-toolstack-restart I would do xe pool-recover-slaves

to see if I could xe command get it to cooperate first.

--Alan--

On 8/27/2020 at 6:41 PM, Alan Lantz said:

I wouldn't worry so much about the network not showing, I seem to remember some versions of XenServer having that issue. 

The VM's not showing is more troubling.  Since its slaves with issues at least rebuilding is always a worst case scenario. I would

try xe-toolstack-restart on the slaves and on the master in addition to xe-toolstack-restart I would do xe pool-recover-slaves

to see if I could xe command get it to cooperate first.

--Alan--

I have a similiar situation it seems - I can get the xe-toolstack-restart to go through however when I do the xe pool-recover-slaves command I get an Error: Connection refused (calling connect )   - Any thoughts?