Android Enterprise - several issues when implementing...

Stig Bakke1709160071

Question

Implemented AE for a customer (Onprem 10.12 RP1) 

Stuff not documented anywhere, that good to know when implementing AE (COPE).

- Securemail widgets dont work anymore

- 2 way contacts sync from local device doesn't work (only from within AE Work profile contacts)

- Import/Export of personal calendar not supported in SecureMail

- Allow screenshot policy's in restriction policy AE - dont bother as this has is blocked in SecureHUB (and is not possible to allow anymore - security feature decided at citrix)

- Deploy of public apps can take up to 1 day to show in managed playstore (will be fixed in 10.12 RP2 and next major release)

- Delete account from device (SecureHUB) does not neccesary clean up XM database and when users re-enroll apps are still shown as installed and dont get deployed (with mandatory deployment).

- No possibility to do an in-place upgrade of devices from Android legacy to Android Enterprise (as specified on a webinar, currently pulled from development)

- Very slow deployment of apps after enrollment.

- Apps are presented SecureHub Store for both Android Legacy and Android Enterprise, thus confusing users if manually deployed (Need to use different categories to seperate them).

- -  Apps deployed/installed show up as Legacy version in SecureHUB store when Android Enterprise enrolled

- - -  What will happen when we remove the legacy versions of apps after all devices are enrolled into Android Enterprise??

If anyone has managed to resolve any issues please share your experiences :-) Citrix should publish more information about these limitations... 

3 answers to this question

Hi Sbakke,

oh my - I thought I was the only one struggling with Android Enterprise On Premise.

I have experienced a lot of the issues you mention, so I hope others will contribute to this thread.

The way Citrix asks you to migrate from Legacy to AE is for me kind of weird.

Take all your policies and MDX, unmark DA and mark AE instead, and configure your settings again for AE.

This should leave Legacy devices working as before, and new enrolled devices will become AE. There is no in-place migration available.

And On Premise 10.12 that was released not that long ago is the first version to support AE (not fully, but some of the way)

Other vendors have been ready for a year.

Best Regards

Torben

Hi again Sbakke,

Had a talk with Citrix yesterday (not support), and they are well aware of the issues with Android Enterprise for On Premise Xenmobile.

They are working on a migration tool, so legacy devices become AE automatically.

I have done severe testing, and followed the guides provided by Citrix, and lot of things are not correct.

Legacy and AE can't co-exist. You either assign a specific group AE only or Legacy only. The devices can't be hit by both.

It looks like the full implementation of Android Enterprise is not ready.

Just as an example fingerprint for Secure Hub is not enabled yet, it should come in version 10.13

Let's see what the future brings :-)

Best Regards

Torben

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 9:24 AM, Torben Nordling said:

Hi again Sbakke,

Had a talk with Citrix yesterday (not support), and they are well aware of the issues with Android Enterprise for On Premise Xenmobile.

They are working on a migration tool, so legacy devices become AE automatically.

I have done severe testing, and followed the guides provided by Citrix, and lot of things are not correct.

Legacy and AE can't co-exist. You either assign a specific group AE only or Legacy only. The devices can't be hit by both.

It looks like the full implementation of Android Enterprise is not ready.

Just as an example fingerprint for Secure Hub is not enabled yet, it should come in version 10.13

Let's see what the future brings :-)

Best Regards

Torben

Hi Torben, good to see i am not the only one having issues.

The migration tool you mention, i was told has been "down prioritized" and is no longer in active developement (as of April 28). Guess its microapps/intelligent workspace ftw nowadays... hopefully they will pull it up again and get something that can ease these migrations..

We are also seeing odd issues that could be related to co-existant of both android legacy and android enterprise within the same ad group (as citrix stated was a supported solution). I will set up a seperate ad group with only AE and see if this helps. thanks,

The CEM documentation should clearly state all these shortcomings and a more detailed approach to moving from legacy to AE,  so customers know what limitations there are when planning and migrating over to Android Enterprise