Citrix Studio not deleting temp files when updating Machine Catalog

Bill Clark1709159029

Question

When updating our Citrix Xenapp environment with a new snapshot, I've noticed it is leaving a temporary folder with the VMDK file in it.  In the recent past, it always cleaned up after itself.  Noticing this, I went into vSphere and browsed the storage, opened the folder and tried to manually delete the temporary VMDK file.  This results in the following:  Cannot delete file "Filename.vmdk" popup notification box.  Looking at the Task Console, I see this:  Deletion of file or directory "Filename.vmdk" from "Datastore" was initiated from 'web-client/6.5.0@127.0.0.1' and completed with status 'Failure'.

Not sure why this is happening but it hasn't always been the case.  Odd thing is, I can create a new folder on the same datastore, then move the VMDK file to the new folder, and then delete it from there.  It almost seems like a permissions issue, but we haven't changed any permissions and from what I see, the Citrix service and the user account I'm using both have the Administrator role.  Anyone else experience this?  The update machine catalog so far works just fine, it's just annoying to have to back in and monkey around with the files to cleanup.

1 answer to this question

Before starting an upgrade, close all programs that might potentially cause file to remain, including administration consoles and PowerShell sessions. (Restarting the machine ensures that any file are cleared, and that there are no Windows updates pending.) If your service & user account has administrator role, the files should be deleted.  Please let me know if this helps.