Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Published Image size reduction?

Calvin Chan

Question

I've just created a new OS layer for the Win10 1909 upgrade, and along with that, LTSR 1912 VDA on the platform layer. After publishing the new image, I noticed the final size is getting larger and larger ~ 80GB. My question is, is this tool still valid? https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX226105 Citrix App Layering: Compress Layer Utility. If this isn't what I actually need, what can I do to help shrink down the published image size? Does it even matter? 

For application layers, I always install/update from network share installers and download them using one of the non-citrix VM.

After I've completed my work, I always run the JGSpiers script to finalize. 

Thank you everyone in advance.

ESXi, vSphere 6.5

Win10 1909

Farm is 7.15 LTSR, pending 1912 LTSR upgrade in matter of days

ELM 20.3.0.12

4 answers to this question

No that was for Unidesk 2.x only.  In App Layering  the layers are stored thin provisioned so you dont have the same issue.  

Are you publishing to PVS or MCS?  If MCS are you using the compositing engine that will make vSphere vmdk's thin provisioned.  If its PVS is that the size you see in the console or are you looking at the size of the vDIsk?

1 minute ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

No that was for Unidesk 2.x only.  In App Layering  the layers are stored thin provisioned so you dont have the same issue.  

Are you publishing to PVS or MCS?  If MCS are you using the compositing engine that will make vSphere vmdk's thin provisioned.  If its PVS is that the size you see in the console or are you looking at the size of the vDIsk?

Hi Rob,

Thank you for that quick response!!! I am publishing to PVS, I was looking at the size on the last page of Publishing Image in the ELM. And interestingly, that lead me to check the actual size in the file storage server where the image is kept... only 50GB.