Welcome to our new Citrix community!

HyperVisor 8.x needs HVM - how to convert a SLES 12.5 VM from PV to HVM?

Peter VARGA1709157052

Question

The pre-check for the upgrade from 7.6 to 8.1 complains about a VM which is in the PV mode. Google returns some results how to convert PV to HVM but these articles are sometimes more than 8 years old. When I execute the below statements the VM doesn't boot and hangs.

2020-03-17 20:01:13 root@aaeb91:~ => xe vm-list name-label="AAEB-DBA204LD"
uuid ( RO)           : 46b51db7-*
     name-label ( RW): AAEB-DBA204LD
    power-state ( RO): running

2020-03-17 20:33:02 root@aaeb91:~ => xe vm-param-set uuid=46b51db7-* HVM-boot-policy="BIOS order"
2020-03-17 20:34:06 root@aaeb91:~ => xe vm-param-set uuid=46b51db7-* PV-bootloader=""

I had to set the parameters back as they were before the change, now at least the VM is booting/running again:

2020-03-17 20:42:50 root@aaeb91:~ => xe vm-param-set uuid=46b51db7-* HVM-boot-policy=""
2020-03-17 20:43:02 root@aaeb91:~ => xe vm-param-set uuid=46b51db7-* PV-bootloader="pygrub"

Is there a way to convert on a XS 7.6 a VM from PV to HVM, or what is the only possible solution? I don't really want to install the VM from the scratch...

13 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

The 1st link points to a blog which is very difficult to read as the author didn't use any formatting. It fails to me due to the fact I cannot find this vm.cfg file on the VM/host.

The 2nd link is exactly what I tried and described in the question and it doesn't work.

Yes, I am talking about a Linux VM.

1 minute ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

What flavor and version of Linux is this? Not all Linux operating systems use grub as the boot loader.

Oh, of course. I am using SLES 12.5. I show here /etc/default/grub - I don't know if this is what josepablob asked for:

# If you change this file, run 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.

# Uncomment to set your own custom distributor. If you leave it unset or empty, the default
# policy is to determine the value from /etc/os-release
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=8
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=/dev/xvda1 splash=silent quiet showopts crashkernel=173M,highi video=1280x1024"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to automatically save last booted menu entry in GRUB2 environment

# variable `saved_entry'
# GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT="true"
#Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs

# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
# GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"
#Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)

GRUB_TERMINAL="gfxterm"
# The resolution used on graphical terminal
#note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE

# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=keep
# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
# GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
#Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries

# GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
#Uncomment to get a beep at grub start

# GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
GRUB_BACKGROUND=/boot/grub2/themes/SLE/background.png
GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub2/themes/SLE/theme.txt
SUSE_BTRFS_SNAPSHOT_BOOTING="true"
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true"
GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK="n"
GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT="vga=gfx-1024x768x16 crashkernel=173M\<4G"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_XEN_REPLACE_DEFAULT="crashkernel=173M,high"

8 minutes ago, Jose Pablo Benavides said:

The XS is running under 7.6 - your link is referring to 8.1. I didn't upgrade the XS yet - I am writing here about the pre-check warnings.

Can we continue with the grub.conf file?

Or, to be more constructive: I don't mind to upgrade the VM from SLES 12.5 to SLES 15.1 - can we then continue and change the VM from PV to HVM?

There is always a solution. So, what do you suggest? Upgrade to 15.1 but this is not supported under XS 7.6.

I have of course a test XS 7.6 with a copy of the real VM where I can try everything before running it on the real system.

2 minutes ago, Jose Pablo Benavides said:

do you see this file in your installation?

/etc/grub.conf

please paste contents here

As I wrote before:

3 hours ago, Peter VARGA1709157052 said:

Thank you for joining this thread. On the whole VM I cannot find this grub.conf file. Where should it be, or, can it have another name?

Another suggestion?

The SLES 12.5 VM with PV is running on my test HyperVisor 8.1 without any problem.

I see it like this:

I shouldn't expect any problems and it's a good idea to create this VM using SLES 15.1 in the near future. Anyway, as now all is shutdown because of Corona I got really enough time to do accomplish it these days.

Apparently Citrix doesn't offer any solution how to convert a VM from PV to HVM. All Google entries are 8-10 years old and don't work [at least to me].

I am also not surprised that the latest HyperVisor version 8.1 doesn't support officially the latest SLES 12 Service Pack 5 version yet [it has been released just 3 months ago].

However, as a user of their free and unpaid version I am not entitled to complain.

I am now running all of my Linux VM with SLES 12.5 on XS 7.6 without any problem since months. According to the Citrix documentation https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/legacy-archive/downloads/citrix-xenserver-7.6.pdf SLES 12.5 isn't listed there but - of course - it works.

I understand it needs always time until a new SP is tested and added to the supported list. But, on the other hand, what should I do? I do it on my own risk and as SLES 12.5 isn't listed in the table I understand nobody supports me. But, once SLES 12.5 will appear in the table, will I really get a support...

I am only curious when Citrix adds SLES 12.5 to the supported Guest operating list for 8.1. For 7.6 I don't expect it anymore.

To make a long story short: Guys, don't bother, apparently there is no way to change it and I will install these 3 VM from scratch using HVM.