Updated Privacy Statement

Failover

John Francis1709160537

Question

Hi,

We had 3 servers in a cluster. Not an actual DR situation. But, the third server was on a different subnet on a DR site. But, all the three were in a cluster. We had an issue sometime back where while updating the third server in the cluster it failed and we had to remove it. I have now built that server with the same version which is 10.10.0.7 and  I brought it up. The third one became the ACTIVE one. So, if I shutdown this server will it failover to either one on the Primary site?

image.thumb.png.241fb35459b112ab2f719f8d300338f4.png

3 answers to this question

The supported infrastructure is when there is one active 'cluster' and one passive 'cluster'. Having one cluster with some 'nodes' active and other 'nodes' passive is not a configuration which is expected.

This way, you end up with one active cluster (containing only active nodes, one of them being role: OLDEST). The other 'cluster' is kept passive (shut down). That passive cluster also contains an OLDEST node. The links found inside of CTX270284 contain more information about this (see Multi Site Requirements and also the Disaster Recovery links).

• Like 1

The information at https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX270284 is a good reference guide for this kind of query. Typically, the idea with any single cluster is for it to be found at one premises or location only. Depending on the speed of the links between locations (and also depending on how SQL on the backend is setup), it can sometimes be possible to 'extend' a single cluster between different locations. More often in this scenario, either the nodes cannot communicate with each other fast enough or instead one or more nodes ends up with too slow a connection to the active SQL database server.

26 minutes ago, David Egan1709157332 said:

The information at https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX270284 is a good reference guide for this kind of query. Typically, the idea with any single cluster is for it to be found at one premises or location only. Depending on the speed of the links between locations (and also depending on how SQL on the backend is setup), it can sometimes be possible to 'extend' a single cluster between different locations. More often in this scenario, either the nodes cannot communicate with each other fast enough or instead one or more nodes ends up with too slow a connection to the active SQL database server.

Thanks David. Thats good information to have. But, I want one server to be passive and not all three to be Active. After I rebooted the primary XenMobile Servers all are now showing as Active. How would I make the DR one to be passive? I am new to XenMobile. If you look at this. The first one is in our DR site even though it is not actually a DR but they were all in the cluster. It shows that all three are ACTIVE. How would I just make ony the first one PASSIVE. The second and third or on the Primary site. I think all three being ACTIVE I am seeing similar issues like what you are talking about in the article for couple of users that started happening after I brought the third server up and added it to the cluster.

image.thumb.png.8ec87f3a05db81398b3d1a842387848f.png