Updated Privacy Statement

How to export VM on local muchine (disk issue)

Yongho Kim

Question

Hi, I want to export VM(.xva file) on local muchine(XenServer).

I have 2 XenServer and want to move VM between Xenserver to other Xenserver with xva files.

I tried to export on local muchine, but Xenserver send me a message like below (is it disk issue??)

Exporting 170_OTS_v1.0_WOA3.12
CLIENT_ERROR - INTERNAL_ERROR: [ Unix.Unix_error(56, "write", "") ]
Time: 00:00:04	ots-xenserver	Feb 5, 2020 5:14 PM	Dismiss

My Xenserver disk storage is free now (8TB), I want to set some part of storage for xva files.

How can I do this?

What information you need to solve this problem??

Please help.

PS. I tried to export xva file on my desktop, but I takes for 2 hours and import to another Xenserver takes for 3.5 hours. (target VM disk 35G/100G)

7 answers to this question

If your XenServers are newer versions you can do migration Xenserver to Xenserver (It probably 

requires to be licensed). If you are running free versions you will need to export/import like you

are doing.  As far as exporting to existing space on a XenServer, thats and odd request as you

usually want to keep XVA files separate for backup purposes. If you really want to keep them

local to the host then setup a backup VM and allocate CIFS/NFS storage to store those XVA's.

--Alan

4 hours ago, Alan Lantz said:

If your XenServers are newer versions you can do migration Xenserver to Xenserver (It probably 

requires to be licensed). If you are running free versions you will need to export/import like you

are doing.  As far as exporting to existing space on a XenServer, thats and odd request as you

usually want to keep XVA files separate for backup purposes. If you really want to keep them

local to the host then setup a backup VM and allocate CIFS/NFS storage to store those XVA's.

--Alan

Dear Alan.

First, Thanks to reply.

I used Xenservers with free license version. 

image.thumb.png.0c1c9a5d34d70eceb280a65e7963294a.png

I want to set backup directory on Xenserver#1, #2 for export/import VM.

So, sometimes backup all vm to another Xenserver for Xenserver reset.

Please help.

12 minutes ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

You really shouldn't do this, but in principle you can export to the local storage area. Look t the mount point of your local SR which will be under /dev/disk ... and a file can be exported to the same space as local VMs are stored. Again, highly not recommended, but possible.

Dear Tobias.

Thanks for reply.

Why are you not recommend that?

Is that occur serious problem to server? (ex. increase CPU performance for export VM.. etc)

How can I know my SR's mount point? (I can't find that under /dev/disk)

Thanks.

Run "cat /etc/mtab" and it will show you your mount points and you should be able to see which is associated with your local SR. It's not recommended because the VMs are using the same space and the space utilization is interfered with.  It's certainly not anything that Citrix supports or recommends. As Alan mentioned above it also will be useless as a backup if the backups are on the same device as the VMs and that device should fail.

9 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Run "cat /etc/mtab" and it will show you your mount points and you should be able to see which is associated with your local SR. It's not recommended because the VMs are using the same space and the space utilization is interfered with.  It's certainly not anything that Citrix supports or recommends. As Alan mentioned above it also will be useless as a backup if the backups are on the same device as the VMs and that device should fail.

Dear Tobias.

So, It means just storage lack that exporting VM on same device?

And, How can I know my Xenserver is free version or not? (My Xenserver version is like below)

image.thumb.png.aec6f78c2da6cb4fc1325105f0ec8995.png

image.thumb.png.77a92e1854c94356cba3fe63526a6aed.png

Is Citrix open Xenserver education periodically?

It should say what version in XenCenter.  Check under licensing.

The problem is you end up mixing VMs and files on the same storage device. The SR systems knows nothing of thef files,AFAIK, hence the danger of running out of space when you deal with VMs. An attached NFS storage device would be probably the easiest and cheapest alternative.