kmssetup.cmd constantly running in the background in AL 2001/1912 LTSR

Nick Panaccio

Question

I'm testing my new 1912 LTSR VDA (W10 1809) on App Layering 2001, and kmssetup.cmd is constantly running in the background (after calling StartCCMEXEC.cmd), so it never actually finishes processing. I do not have SCCM installed on this VDA, and the registry keys it's looking for don't actually exist, so I have no idea why the log file says otherwise. I've validated this behavior in three different images that have App Layering 2001 installed. Has anyone else seen something similar? I've opened a case with Citrix, but figured this was worth posting here, as well. Attached are the relevant logs.

kmssetup.log StartCCMEXEC.log

13 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Raymond Colon said:

Please open a case, since we recently discovered and fixed this issue

I currently have a case open, and was told that the fix would be released in the next App Layering release. The workaround is to simply comment out the CCMEXEC stuff in kmssetup.cmd. Is there another fix that I'd be able to get without having to wait for the next build?

If anyone prefers to alter the scripts and wait for the next GA, public release, which will include the new machine tools, below is what we are recommending be done. 

1) Add a version to the OS layer

2) Edit c:\windows\setup\scripts\kmsdir\StartCCMEXE.cmd

3) Search for the line, "set VALUE_NAME-Start"

4) Add beneath that the three lines
          set ValueName=
          set ValueType=
          set ValueValue=

5) Save the file

6)  Finalize the layer

7) Edit the existing image template or create a new template and use the new OS layer version

On 2/6/2020 at 10:25 AM, Raymond Colon said:

If anyone prefers to alter the scripts and wait for the next GA, public release, which will include the new machine tools, below is what we are recommending be done. 

1) Add a version to the OS layer

2) Edit c:\windows\setup\scripts\kmsdir\StartCCMEXE.cmd

3) Search for the line, "set VALUE_NAME-Start"

4) Add beneath that the three lines
          set ValueName=
          set ValueType=
          set ValueValue=

5) Save the file

6)  Finalize the layer

7) Edit the existing image template or create a new template and use the new OS layer version

Is there an ETA on the public release of this fix?

4 minutes ago, Mike Kelly1709153237 said:

Interesting, I wonder why this fix wasn't called out specifically on the "Fixed issues" list?

I see it called out - third bullet point: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-app-layering/4/fixed-issues.html

• An issue that had caused the StartCCMEXEC.cmd script to continually grow the log file, StartCCMExec.txt, even when CCMExec is not installed, has been fixed. To fix this issue for your deployment, download the new OS Machine Tools folder for 20.3, and replace the current version of the StartCCMEXEC.cmd file with the new one. (UNI-77471)

The issue was the StartCCMEXEC.cmd file, ultimately. I can confirm that the file in this new package is the same as the private hotfix I have installed (20.1.0.18).