Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Universal Print Server - Deployment of Printers

Scott Gilliland

Question

Hi All,

Looking to deploy a number of network only printers out to a farm, the below is the advised approach. Can anyone add anything to it i.e. tips/advise?

One main point I have already experienced during testing:

• The universal driver has an issue at present where it does not show the assigned printers in the control panel (but does via printing in word for example)
    • For this I will be using the default which is vendor driver with fallback to universal

Network printer assignments using Citrix policy and universal printing

·         Network printers may be assigned based on client name/IP, user name/groups, delivery groups, and Active Directory OUs using policy filters.

·         Create multiple policies for assigning different printer sets to multiple user groups.

·         Install the Citrix UPS component on the Windows print servers.

·         Printer configuration should be identical on all print servers if using Citrix UPS load balancing.

Printing policies:

·         Automatic installation of in-box printer drivers = Disabled

·         Universal print driver usage = Use universal printing only

·         Printer assignments = add network printers and default settings as needed (requires

·         UNC path to printer, use * as client name to apply to all clients)

·         Universal Print Server enable = Enabled (restart VDA for policy changes to apply)

·         *Universal Print Servers for load balancing = add print servers as needed (IP or FQDN)

Any tips or advise is greatly appreciated.

1 answer to this question

46 minutes ago, Scott Gilliland said:

One main point I have already experienced during testing:

• The universal driver has an issue at present where it does not show the assigned printers in the control panel (but does via printing in word for example)
    • For this I will be using the default which is vendor driver with fallback to universal

Correction, it seems this does not effect when just using the UPD but the entire UPS.

Unless anyone can suggest a work around I may not be able to go ahead with this after all....