Difference | licensed vs unlicensed | XenServer 7.1

Antony nixson

Question

Hello there,

Can anyone please let me know the major difference between XenServer 7.1 licensed vs unlicensed ???

Purpose: assign static ip to centos7 vm through cli in xenserver

Command:  xe vif-configure-ipv4 uuid=(UUID-of- VIF) mode=static address=w.x.y.z/24 gateway=a.b.c.d

I just ran a xe command on XenServer CLI "unlicensed XenServer 7.1" 

it is throwing something like (You attempted an operation on a VM which lacks the feature.)

##### Error Info 

[root@xenserver-Rack2Dell ~]# xe vif-configure-ipv4 uuid=df1840d4-e301-16db-80a4-2b98308d03f4 mode=none
You attempted an operation on a VM which lacks the feature.
vm: cac2a392-5a3f-60e5-d948-6c42af832780 (test-terraform-web)

#####

When i ran the above command i will be getting this, so i believe it may happens because of  unlicensed version of XenServer , So i tried the same command with a licensed version of XenServer But again i will be getting the same info 

##### Error Info 

[root@xencn01 ~]# xe vif-configure-ipv4 uuid=e7bf9afe-60c8-3e12-252f-c4870be6d036 mode=static address=10.222.15.251/24 gateway=10.222.15.254

You attempted an operation on a VM which lacks the feature.
vm: c709cc8a-8c36-67ca-f599-a6a2986ad2bd (Testing)

#####

So i just want to know the difference between licensed vs  unlicensed version, i don't understand this

the citrix official document says through cli we can configure IP address to the VM but it doesn't works

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenserver/7-0/downloads/administrators-guide.pdf

So please let me know anyone why this command not working, OR let me know if i miss anything to add !!

Note: i also installed xen-tools into the VM.

Also the above command works on windows VM (I can able to assign static ip to a windows vm through xen cli)

Thanks,

Antonynixson I

2 answers to this question