Updated Privacy Statement

After Upgrade to app layer 1908, all modifications to old layers are failing

George Georgiadis

Question

After upgrading from 4.15 to 1908, when we try to add a new version to the OS layer or to a published application , we get the error in the ELM Console

Error: 'Windows 10 1803 OS Layer-2019-09-30_17-25-08.626' failed to start.

'Virtual Machine Name Unavailable' could not initialize.

An attempt to read or update virtual machine configuration failed.

'Windows 10 1803 OS Layer-2019-09-30_17-25-08.626' failed to start. (Virtual machine ID 159D8879-329A-4081-8E05-7799D16CDB7B)

'Windows 10 1803 OS Layer-2019-09-30_17-25-08.626' failed to start worker process: General access denied error (0x80070005). (Virtual machine ID 159D8879-329A-4081-8E05-7799D16CDB7B)

'Virtual Machine Name Unavailable' could not initialize. (Virtual machine ID 159D8879-329A-4081-8E05-7799D16CDB7B)

'Virtual Machine Name Unavailable' could not read or update virtual machine configuration: General access denied error (0x80070005). (Virtual machine ID 159D8879-329A-4081-8E05-7799D16CDB7B) 

Just before the upgrade, I did the same actions and it worked just fine.

What we have noticed is that the Hyper-V connector configuration has changed. There is no more the Username and Passowrd fields. When we do "Connect to agent" , we wait for 1 minute showing a popup saying "Connecting to agent"  and then it shows again  the initial screen of the connector configuration without saying that it connected successfully. If I entered wrong information in the agent configuration, then we get some error messages in red. I was wondering, with which account is trying to connect to hyper-v using the connector, if we do not specify any credentials. In ELM 4.15, there were both Username and password, but in 1908, there is none. and the Citrix App Layer documentation does not mention this difference. My concern is that if tries to connect with an account that does not have enough permissions, that's why we get the errors mentioned above.

Thank you in advance

George

4 answers to this question

Hi Rob. Yes I did. It was the 1 st thing I ve done before doing any layering processing. 

I haven't done any OS applayer tools upgrade, since that was I was trying to do with adding a new version to the existing OS layer. I think that tools upgrade is not the provblem here.

It is clear that either the deletion of the images from the cache or the permissions in the account used to access the hyper-vs are the problem. But I am not in position to identify which one is the problem. 

Well on an upgrade the cache should be deleted.  If not you should be bale to delete it manually but from your error it look like you are just getting an access denied error when trying to create the VM?  Was a VM created?  If not was a vhd created on your storage? 

I guess one option is to uninstall the agent and reinstall but it might be better to discuss it with support before doing that.

I would open a support ticket on this one for sure.

Just to let you know that a major change regarding the app layer 4.15 vs 1908, is that the hyper-v connector no more needs to use specific credentials to login to the hypervisor and execute it's tasks. I still do not know with which account it does login (I assume with the account that the agent service is running).

In our case, in 4.15 configuration, we used a UNC in the properties of the connector. That created a problem with permissions needed to full access the path. When we changed it to absolute path (c:\......) instead of UNC, it works correctly. This fixed our issue and we have no more those errors.

This is for any other guys will attempt an upgrade to 1908.