"The VDA's operating system type is not compatible with the Machine Catalog or Delivery Group."

tylital520

Question

I am trying deploy Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 with Linux VDA 1906. The machine is joined to AD domain with PBIS. I am able to create the MCS machine catalog and delivery group, but when I try to launch the VDI from our Reciever for Web website the loader just keeps spinning, and I see the following error in Director: "The VDA's operating system type is not compatible with the Machine Catalog or Delivery Group."

When I first created the catalog I selected Desktop OS -> random desktop. After I got the error message I thought I'd try static desktop, but I got the same error.

When I installed the Linux VDA 1906 to Ubuntu I selected "Y" to the following setting:

CTX_XDL_VDI_MODE = Y | N – Whether to configure the machine as a dedicated desktop delivery model (VDI) or hosted shared desktop delivery model. For HDX 3D Pro environments, set this variable to Y. This variable is set to N by default.

So what I am wondering is, is it possible to deploy random or static Ubuntu desktops with Linux VDA 1906 and MCS?

4 answers to this question

So I changed the setting I mentioned to N, but that alone did not solve the issue. I also had to create a new catalog, and select Server OS at the beginning instead of Desktop OS otherwise I got the same error message.

Now the VM deployed with MCS is able to register itself to the controllers, but when I launch the VDI I get a grey screen. Was there ever a solution to this problem? There seem to be multiple threads about it but I don't see clear answer in any of them? Anyone got any tips how to troubleshoot this?

On 9/8/2019 at 10:23 AM, tylital520 said:

So I changed the setting I mentioned to N, but that alone did not solve the issue. I also had to create a new catalog, and select Server OS at the beginning instead of Desktop OS otherwise I got the same error message.

Now the VM deployed with MCS is able to register itself to the controllers, but when I launch the VDI I get a grey screen. Was there ever a solution to this problem? There seem to be multiple threads about it but I don't see clear answer in any of them? Anyone got any tips how to troubleshoot this?

The solution here solved the Grey Screen issue: https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/402836-linux-vda-ubuntu-1804-lts-grey-screen/