Updated Privacy Statement

App Layering and FSLogix - Is the 'Altitude' adjustment always required?

Nick Panaccio

Question

I'm hoping that @Rob Zylowski1709158051 can chime in here on this one. Is the 'Altitude' adjustment listed in this FSLogix article always required when using FSLogix with Citrix App Layering, or is it only required when using either Elastic or User Layers? We've been testing FSLogix in QA for a while now without any changes to this registry key, and everything seems fine. However, the article makes it sound like it should be set no matter what if you're using App Layering.

24 answers to this question

Well I dont think there is anything in FSLogix that would require being in the Platform layer.  Most apps do not need to be in the platform layer which is really menat for platform specific installs.  One thing you do need to do is add the four local groups via GPP because local groups cant be added in any layer but the OS layer so that's easiest to do via GPP.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/configure-office-container-tutorial

Hi Guys,

Managed to get this working in my platform, didn't really do anything special in the end other than change the altitude settings, not sure why it didn't work to start with seems to be completely fine now.

seem to have fixed my windows search issues, that i had with Citrix outlook roaming. 

Thanks,

Cam

On 8/12/2019 at 1:08 PM, Nick Panaccio said:

Yeah, I'm already controlling those groups via GPP. Maybe I'll try this route after the next CVAD LTSR release, because I'm all set with FSLogix in the Platform layer. I could always just leave it there, as well.

We were un-successful in getting FSLogix to work properly when it was in an app layer. We've only been successful when we install it in the Platform Layer.

21 minutes ago, Nick Panaccio said:

I did test it as an App Layer, and didn't see any issues, but at the end of the day decided to just keep it in the Platform layer for peace of mind.

Did you have to use the Layer Priority tool and move it to the top of the priority list?  We also use Ivanti Application Control (filter driver) and the vshield filter driver for trend micro so I'm assuming that's why we needed it in the platform layer.

1 minute ago, Mike Kelly1709153237 said:

Did you have to use the Layer Priority tool and move it to the top of the priority list?  We also use Ivanti Application Control (filter driver) and the vshield filter driver for trend micro so I'm assuming that's why we needed it in the platform layer.

I used the utility to move that layer to the top of the list just in case, yes. I didn't test it at a lower level. I'm also running Trend Micro Apex One (in an App layer).

On 7/22/2019 at 11:12 AM, Nick Panaccio said:

I'm hoping that @Rob Zylowski1709158051 can chime in here on this one. Is the 'Altitude' adjustment listed in this FSLogix article always required when using FSLogix with Citrix App Layering, or is it only required when using either Elastic or User Layers? We've been testing FSLogix in QA for a while now without any changes to this registry key, and everything seems fine. However, the article makes it sound like it should be set no matter what if you're using App Layering.

Hi Nick,

What is the Altitude setting you are referring too when using Fslogix and App Layering? When I click the link, i get redirected to how to open a case support case with fslogix. please share more info. 

I'm running into an issue with testing profile containers, where the start menu isn't working post login, get an error and ask to logout to fix start menu. However the profile (vdhx) is being created on the share.  

profile containers with default setting (enabled and VHD location).

Win1803 provisoined to PVS with EL enabled

ELM 19.8

Profile containers with default setting (enabled and VHD location).

Thanks,

CT 

StartMenu_Error.JPG

3 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Hi CT its here

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\frxdrvvt\Instances\frxdrvvt\Altitude

and you wan to make it 138010

This link still works:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/660959a4-f9a9-486b-8a0d-dec3eba549e3/using-citrix-app-layering-unidesk-with-fslogix?forum=FSLogix

Rob

Thanks Rob for you quick response. Yes the link you attached works.

So I read you had success with Fslogix in App Layer. Is that with profile or Office containers? I have tested fslogix "app masking" in app layer and it works fine but no success with office or profile container from Fslogix. 

Would the Altitude setting help resolve my issue with profile container or should I be moving Fslogix to Platform or OS layer?

Yes you need the altitude setting or it will not work at all with elastic layering enabled.

I would first try in an app layer I dont see why it would need to be in the platform layer as that article states but certainly test well after making the altitude change.

Another thing you need to deal with is the local groups FSLogix creates.  You need to create those with a GPP because we cant merge local groups form different layers.  Then you need to add the users you want to use the containers into the include group.  I have not yet figured out how to get local administrators into the exclude group.

image.thumb.png.4dc39beea654b394bdc29b6a425bba2e.png

30 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

If you dont enable elastic layering you won't be able to use any dynamic layers that get mounted during logon. Instead you would include all desired layers in your published image. 

Understood, I don’t plan to use dynamic layers. Not in my scope now. I have tested UL and as much I like them, I noticed logon are extremely slow. 

thanks again Rob for your assistance. 

12 hours ago, Clement Thuraisamy1709154286 said:

Understood, I don’t plan to use dynamic layers. Not in my scope now. I have tested UL and as much I like them, I noticed logon are extremely slow. 

thanks again Rob for your assistance. 

Rob beat me to the replies, but we're still in the same boat. Logon performance goes down drastically for us with EL enabled, so we've left it out of our images entirely. We've been on App Layering with FSLogix in Production for a month or so now and so far everything has gone well. I do keep FSLogix in my Platform layer, though testing it in an App layer also worked.

1 hour ago, Nick Panaccio said:

Rob beat me to the replies, but we're still in the same boat. Logon performance goes down drastically for us with EL enabled, so we've left it out of our images entirely. We've been on App Layering with FSLogix in Production for a month or so now and so far everything has gone well. I do keep FSLogix in my Platform layer, though testing it in an App layer also worked.

All good :) Thanks Nick for the reply. Appreciate your response! 

I was thinking the same of keeping EL disabled due to logon performance. I will test out in app layer as I prefer it there, provided it works well. Keep you posted of any issues. 
Happy Holidays!