MDX Apps not upgrading on IOS devices

Andrew Harris1709160651

Question

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I've recently deployed updated versions of MDX versions of the SecureWeb, SecureMail and QuickEdit by following the instructions on this page: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenmobile/server/apps/upgrading.html

The period I set for the 'App update grace period (hours)' passed several days ago, but although I can see XenMobile has had recent connections to most of the devices, the count of devices running the latest app versions is going up, but very very slowly. On a test device, I can see the pending update in the Secure Hub, but it doesn't seem to be prompting the user to update.

Is there a setting I'm missing that forces the user to update the apps at the end or at least prompts them outside of the SecureHub app. Alternatively, is there some logic/schedule that SecureHub uses to update the apps, that I'm not aware of.

(We are running XM 10.9 and deploying to iPhones running IOS 11 and 12)

Any Suggestions appreciated.

Andrew

3 answers to this question

Hi Andrew,

I assume it's the public apps and their corresponding MDX files you are updating?

What version have you updated to, and have you updated both public app and MDX?

If users have a valid Apple ID or Google Play ID, they will normally update public apps themselves automatically.

If they don't have a valid ID, it will update the public app, when you update it in Xenmobile.

The MDX version is normally updated straight away on the devices the next time the respective app is opened.

But remember that it takes several times of connections before the app is updated and the device has reported back that it's updated.

First it gets the notion to update, then it updates, and then it reports back that it's updated.

Many thanks for the reply. I've tried to provide a bit more info below:

15 hours ago, Torben Nordling said:

I assume it's the public apps and their corresponding MDX files you are updating?

What version have you updated to, and have you updated both public app and MDX?

So we have only updated the MDX versions. In fact, we only have the MDX version in our console under the 'Apps' tab. I have updated SecureMail and SecureWeb to 19.3.5 and QuickEdit to 7.8, using the iOS AppStore MDX files, downloaded from Citrix.com

We don't have any entries for Public App Store apps in the console. Should we have both?

15 hours ago, tnordli885 said:

If users have a valid Apple ID or Google Play ID, they will normally update public apps themselves automatically.

If they don't have a valid ID, it will update the public app, when you update it in Xenmobile.

All the users have Apple IDs configured on the devices. Perhaps this is just a user education piece about getting them to setup Automatic Updates for the Apps.

Sorry, if I've misunderstood your questions. We have a somewhat neglected XM setup, that we are now just try to get in a better place.

Thanks again

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

we have a VPP account, so our users don't have to have an Apple ID on their iOS devices, and when that VPP account is configured in Xenmobile, the apps are automatically added to Xenmobile.

To be honest I don't know if it's a requirement to have the public apps added to Xenmobile, but I think it would be user-friendly to have them added automatically to the devices.

I think Automatic Updates for the Apps is default on iOS.

How is the status for the updates now?

Best Regards

Torben

Archived