Updated Privacy Statement

How to properly create Machine Catalog?

Tomas Ferianc

Question

If I create Machine Catalog from VM, where all Citrix ecosystem is installed (Studio, Server OS VDA, etc) everything works.
But, I wanted to prepare separate VM with just Windows, nVidia driver, without any Citrix ecosystem.

I presume, this is possible and users connecting to such desktops shouldn't see Citrix stuff anyway.

During creation of machine catalog from such VM, I get this error:

Error Id: XDDS:B8EA803C

Exception:
    Citrix.Orchestration.Base.LogicModels.Exceptions.ProvisioningTaskException Preparation of the Master VM Image failed. Make sure the selected image has a supported OS (for example, Windows 7) and the correct version of the VDA (7.0 or later) installed.
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.ThrowOnTerminatingError(SdkProvisioningSchemeAction sdkProvisioningSchemeAction)
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.WaitForProvisioningSchemeActionCompletion(Guid taskId, Action`1 actionResultsObtained)
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.StartProvisioningAction()
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.RunTask()
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.Task.Run()

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : ProvisioningTaskError
    ErrorCategory : NotSpecified
    ErrorID : ImagePreparationFinalizationFailedCompletely
    TaskErrorInformation : Terminated
    InternalErrorMessage : No Image Preparation results found. There may be no suitable VDA installed, or some other serious failure in the Master VM. Image preparation failed.
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : Create Machine Catalog 'CitrixCatalog'
    27.2.2019 15:37:23

I've installed at least VDA from Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops ISO  (I've chosen 3rd option - broker), 7 1808 version, but I do get exactly same error.
What is the correct way of preparing machine catalog?

17 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Tomas Ferianc said:

If I create Machine Catalog from VM, where all Citrix ecosystem is installed (Studio, Server OS VDA, etc) everything works.
But, I wanted to prepare separate VM with just Windows, nVidia driver, without any Citrix ecosystem.

I presume, this is possible and users connecting to such desktops shouldn't see Citrix stuff anyway.

During creation of machine catalog from such VM, I get this error:

Error Id: XDDS:B8EA803C

Exception:
    Citrix.Orchestration.Base.LogicModels.Exceptions.ProvisioningTaskException Preparation of the Master VM Image failed. Make sure the selected image has a supported OS (for example, Windows 7) and the correct version of the VDA (7.0 or later) installed.
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.ThrowOnTerminatingError(SdkProvisioningSchemeAction sdkProvisioningSchemeAction)
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeTask.WaitForProvisioningSchemeActionCompletion(Guid taskId, Action`1 actionResultsObtained)
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.StartProvisioningAction()
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.ProvisioningSchemeService.BackgroundTasks.ProvisioningSchemeCreationTask.RunTask()
       at Citrix.Orchestration.Base.PowerShellSdk.BackgroundTaskService.BackgroundTask.Task.Run()

DesktopStudio_ErrorId : ProvisioningTaskError
    ErrorCategory : NotSpecified
    ErrorID : ImagePreparationFinalizationFailedCompletely
    TaskErrorInformation : Terminated
    InternalErrorMessage : No Image Preparation results found. There may be no suitable VDA installed, or some other serious failure in the Master VM. Image preparation failed.
    DesktopStudio_PowerShellHistory : Create Machine Catalog 'CitrixCatalog'
    27.2.2019 15:37:23

I've installed at least VDA from Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops ISO  (I've chosen 3rd option - broker), 7 1808 version, but I do get exactly same error.
What is the correct way of preparing machine catalog?

Hello,

The log you shared indicates that VDA is missing.

To be able to create a machine catalog, you will need VDA to be installed with 1 of those 3 options:

1. Create a master MCS image
  2. Create a master image using Citrix Provisioning or third-party provisioning tools
  3. Enable Brokered Connections to a Server

When you say 3rd option is it Enable Brokered Connection to a Server?

Thanks

Arnaud

17 minutes ago, Arnaud Pain said:

Hello,

The log you shared indicates that VDA is missing.

To be able to create a machine catalog, you will need VDA to be installed with 1 of those 3 options:

1. Create a master MCS image
  2. Create a master image using Citrix Provisioning or third-party provisioning tools
  3. Enable Brokered Connections to a Server

When you say 3rd option is it Enable Brokered Connection to a Server?

Thanks

Arnaud

Hello

yes, exactly, I chose Enable Brokered Connection
I can even see Citrix services running after VDA installation. What could be wrong then?

1 minute ago, Tomas Ferianc said:

Hello

yes, exactly, I chose Enable Brokered Connection
I can even see Citrix services running after VDA installation. What could be wrong then?

Did you restart the process of MC creation after VDA?

Do you have exactly the same error?

Thanks

Arnaud

6 hours ago, Tomas Ferianc said:

What you mean by not possible? I've done it yesterday. During VDA installation, you just specify Delivery Controller location and at the moment, I am already connected via HDX session

Hi,

I just did a test with:

• Deploy Windows Server 2019 Template
  • Change name and integrate to my Domain
  • Install Citrix VDA 1811 with 3rd option
  • Restart server
  • Create MC
  • Create DG
  • Connect

Everything works fine.

I have recorded video of what I did if you want I can provide it to you?

Thanks

Arnaud

2 hours ago, Arnaud Pain said:

Hi,

I just did a test with:

• Deploy Windows Server 2019 Template
  • Change name and integrate to my Domain
  • Install Citrix VDA 1811 with 3rd option
  • Restart server
  • Create MC
  • Create DG
  • Connect

Everything works fine.

I have recorded video of what I did if you want I can provide it to you?

Thanks

Arnaud

OK, I did the same yesterday, didn't work for me with 3rd option but it worked with 1st option. Anyway, looks like we are both happy :)

On 3/4/2019 at 0:57 PM, Arnaud Pain said:

I would suggest you to recreate the VM, the nVidia driver and peripheral if GPU can be added after.

Thanks

Arnaud

Eventually, I've prepared new VM with latest Citrix Virtual Apps & Desktops 7 1811, there was no option to choose anything, it just installed and it works.

5 minutes ago, Tomas Ferianc said:

Eventually, I've prepared new VM with latest Citrix Virtual Apps & Desktops 7 1811, there was no option to choose anything, it just installed and it works.

Happy that you finally have it working. 

Thanks

Arnaud

Just so you know, you don't need to shutdown your master image to use it. But anyway:
When you are creating your Machine  Kodi Lucky Patcher nox Catalog, do you have any VM shown? Because if it's not the case, you have a problem of communication with SCVMM. You don't need the VDA installed to see any machine at this point.
What did you choose during the operation, step by step? (Desktop OS, MCS,...?)