Updated Privacy Statement

WEM: Profile Management Health Check

Joe Robinson

Question

Good Afternoon:

I like the idea of WEM keeping tabs on profile management.  It's actually pointed out some old configurations that I made to overcome problems, but forgot to remove after patches went in.  I didn't really notice this until I upgraded the console and all my agents reported as unhealthy!  If you haven't seen this feature yet, it's in WEM 1811.  When the check is run, it dumps the results in C:\Windows\Temp\UPMConfigCheckOutput.xml.

Upon investigation, it looks like some of the errors and warnings aren't really valid.  With some of the errors and warning I see, I don't think I could ever achieve a healthy status, and therefore would quickly start to ignore the icon showing the state of my environment.

ERROR: Path to user store does not exist

The only error that cropped up was for the path to the user store.  This doesn't seem to be valid, as it's looking for a profile that matches the server name.  So instead of looking for \\server\share\profiles it's looking for \\server\share\profiles\<servername>$.<domain>.  This doesn't exist.  UPM is working though, and not having problems finding user profiles.  I think it's just failing while looking for a profile for the server, which will never exist...

WARNING: Profile Delete Delay is not 0

The first warning I have is for the Profile Delete Delay.  In the past, I've had problems with UPM deleting profiles because files are still in use.  Citrix introduced this delay to prevent this from happening, and I've had it set to 60 seconds for some time now.  WEM is recommending I set this to 0 so profiles are immediately deleted, but I feel more problems would be generated from this change.  Is this valid?

WARNING: CEI Disabled

The second warning is for CEIPEnabled being disabled... Thats pure preference, and I imagine most companies are going to turn that off.  It seems more informational than warning.

WARNING: Process Admins Enabled

If Process Admins is enabled, it reports a warning.  This seems like preference as well and should be informational rather than warning.  I use this in my environment and use different policies/groups to control things that I do not want to apply to admins.

WARNING: Profile Delete Delay 

If profile delete delay is disabled, a warning is generated.  It indicates that the effective setting of () does not match preferred setting of (0).  So in order to make this warning go away, you have to turn on Profile Delete Delay and set it to 0.  I'd rather just disable it!

I'm bringing these issues up because I feel this could be a very helpful tool for administrators to check the overall health of their UPM environment.  In fact, I'd love to see this reported right in director! 

I can see at least three states for the environment, and looks like the overall state is set to the most important alert -- Error, Warning, Healthy.  Ideally, I'd want to normally see a healthy environment, but even one warning or error will change that (understandably!)

The error I'm seeing isn't really an error.  After creating a profile folder for my VDA and assigning the computer account permissions, I was able to change my state to Warning.  I did this just for testing so I could see how the health check worked.

A few of the warnings were valid, and I quickly fixed them.  However, the ones above are keeping me in a warning state.  If I don't see any changes to the state, and it's always in error or warning, the functionality quickly becomes just another piece of information that I regularly ignore.

Any chance at getting the ability to ignore but still report certain items, or the ability to manually classify items?  Or maybe another state of Healthy, but informational items available?

With all that said -- I *absolutely* love this feature!  I would love to see more Citrix components doing health checks that might help me to stop doing something stupid.  But the ability to override something needs to be implemented make these type of features more useful!

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Hi Joe,

Well, that was some intressting insights.
Take a look at my output below:

<?xml version="1.0" ?> 
- <!-- Result of UpmConfigCheck tool
  --> 
- <Result>
  <Errors /> 
- <Warnings>
- <Warning Id="1">
  <Title>Migrate options</Title> 
  <Info>*** Warning: Roaming Profile policy not detected, but MigrateWindowsProfilesToUserStore is set to All</Info> 
  <Reason>As there is no Roaming Profile policy detected, there is no reason to select a policy of 'All'. Choose 'Local' or 'None'.</Reason> 
  <PolicyName>MigrateWindowsProfilesToUserStore</PolicyName> 
  </Warning>

Action taken on this one: Completely relevant. I switched this from Local and Roaming to LOCAL.

- <Warning Id="2">
  <Title>Recommendation value check</Title> 
  <Info>*** Warning: ProfileDeleteDelay actual/effective setting (0) does not match preferred setting (60)</Info> 
  <Reason>in volatile environments, profile delete should be deferred in case the machine is deleted. Starting profile delete promptly risks wasting IOPS</Reason> 
  <PolicyName>ProfileDeleteDelay</PolicyName> 
  </Warning>

Action taken on this one: It is strange that your WEM is recommending you to switch from "60" to "0". I'm having the completely opposite scenario, So I switched to 60 as I actually used to do in most cases.

- <Warning Id="3">
  <Info>*** Warning: PSMidSessionWriteBack actual/effective setting (Disabled) does not match preferred setting (Enabled)</Info> 
  <Reason>Active Write Back should be enabled, to preserve profile changes against power outage.</Reason> 
  <PolicyName>PSMidSessionWriteBack</PolicyName> 
  </Warning>

Action taken on this one: I had just active right back registry enabled and I'm trying the active right back as well right now and see if it will cause any IOPs or other issues..

- <Warning Id="4">
  <Info>*** Warning: CEIPEnabled actual/effective setting (Disabled) does not match preferred setting (Enabled)</Info> 
  <Reason>By default, the Customer Experience Improvement Program is enabled to help improve the quality and performance of Citrix products by sending anonymous statistics and usage information.</Reason> 
  <PolicyName>CEIPEnabled</PolicyName> 
  </Warning>

Action taken on this one: Well, why not...

- <Warning Id="5">
  <Title>Deprecated settings</Title> 
  <Info>*** Warning: LoadRetries should not be set</Info> 
  <Reason>this setting should not be set, unless explicitly requested by authorized Citrix support personnel</Reason> 
  <PolicyName>LoadRetries</PolicyName> 
  </Warning>

Action taken on this one: I had this set to the default 5 retries but I disabled it now and I'm monitoring the siyuation

</Warnings>
  <Invalid /> 
  </Result>

i have same problem, but only with the delay, the script upm config check tool is not able to read out the output. because i set delay to 60 seconds and the value in the xml is () empty, but it is enabled with 60 seconds. so please citrix check your script, it can not be, that this is not verified.

I agree with this one.  Some of these options it warns about are user preference or based on the environment you are configuring.  The "default" best practices that Citrix is setting here don't apply to every situation.  The CEIP one really gets me going as that is not something all organizations are wanting to do.  Also to warn about profile streaming being enabled?  Really Citrix?  In some environments this setting is needed and makes sense. 

I am on version 1906 of WEM and they still are using the same preference items to compare "default" configurations and warn for no reason.  How about providing a way to ignore the warnings for each environment's configuration, or better yet, allow administrators to set their own "default" configuration.  That way if you set the settings you want in Profile Management, it is green in the console but if something deviates from YOUR defaults, then you get a warning.

Hello Joe,

Below error is caused because the computer account doesn't have access to the profile store (share/NTFS permissions). If you add the computer account to the share permissions profile healthcheck completes without errors.

"ERROR: Path to user store does not exist

The only error that cropped up was for the path to the user store.  This doesn't seem to be valid, as it's looking for a profile that matches the server name.  So instead of looking for \\server\share\profiles it's looking for \\server\share\profiles\<servername>$.<domain>.  This doesn't exist.  UPM is working though, and not having problems finding user profiles.  I think it's just failing while looking for a profile for the server, which will never exist..."