Updated Privacy Statement

Issue with Nvidia Grid drivers in PlatformLayer

Erwin Gerlich1709159994

Question

Hi, 

When i install the Nvidia Grid drivers in my Platform layer (wich is a fresh layer nothing else installed yet) de driver does not install properly

1. after installation i'm not able to open Nvidia Control panel to configure licensing.

2. The Nvidia Display container LS service won’t start automaticly

3. The Nvidia licensing log location used by default isnt present at " %SystemDrive%\Users\Public\Documents\NvidiaLogging\Log.NVDisplay.Container.exe.log."

Versions used

Citrix APPlayering 4.15

Nvidia driver: 411.81

Windows10 1803

The strange thing is that when i try to install de Nvidia drivers into the OS layer from wich i just freshly created the platform layer it works just fine!

Citrix states that the Nvidia grid drivers should be installed in the platform layer. In my case this won't seem to work.

I'm going to test what happens if i let de Grid drivers stay in de OS layer and create a MCS image from it.

Anyone familiar with this issue?

9 answers to this question

In my environment I have the same isue but also with disabled elastic layer.

But now I have become a fix from Citrix for this issue and it works fine:

1. In the layer that you are delivering the NVIDIA, open the registry and navigate to:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\unifltr

2. Add a value called AlwaysOnBoot (if it doesn't already exist) as a multi string value. 

3. Add the following two paths: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\  (NOTE: The trailing \ at the end of the paths, as that tells the software that it is a directory, and we should keep all of the children of the directory on the image).

4. Reinstall the Nvidia driver 

5. Deploy the image with the new layer revision.

• Like 1

Yes, we wound up writing this KB article as a direct result of these cases.  My apologies for not posting it in the forum myself.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX241448

We thought about whether we wanted to add this to our default configuration, but decided that we didn't want to have to chase nVidia's software installation directories in the future.  If they change their installation paths, we'd rather this were a registry change than a code change.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:50 AM, Gunther Anderson said:

Yes, we wound up writing this KB article as a direct result of these cases.  My apologies for not posting it in the forum myself.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX241448

We thought about whether we wanted to add this to our default configuration, but decided that we didn't want to have to chase nVidia's software installation directories in the future.  If they change their installation paths, we'd rather this were a registry change than a code change.

Gunther,

Not sure if you remember but you help me and Jake over the course of several days with trying to get the GRID drivers to work with our environment.  We were not successful and you guys came out with the patch article.  I am following it now to test out.

I am running through the process and wanted to get your thoughts on the install process.  I have a new Platform Layer and installed the Nvidia GRID M10-1b drivers on it.  Tested the GRID drivers and they worked fine.  THEN added the registry entries per the CTX241448 article and rebooted.  After the reboot, I could not access the NVidia control panel and it caused some subdirectories to C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\ to disappear.  Trying to launch the Nvidia control panel located C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Control Panel Client\nvcplui.exe failed and the directory is empty.

If I remove the two string entries from the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\unifltr] AlwaysOnBoot and reboot everything is back to normal and I can access the Nvidia Control Panel just fine.

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\
        C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\

My question is on when should I add the registry entries for the AlwaysOnBoot?  

Should it be prior to running the install of the GRID drivers or post install?  

This is my current workflow and where I'm having the issue...

1. Start with brand new platform layer
  2. Install GRID drivers
  3. Add registry entry for AlwaysOnBoot
  4. Reboot
  5. Issue occurs

Note: When in the state above all I have to do to correct the issue is remove the two string values noted in the article and reboot.  Then all is well.

Can I get your thoughts?