nested session: mouse problems

Thomas Ebnoumlther

Question

Hi

A client of our company has a problem with nested sessions. The Users are connecting through an Igel Thin Client to XenDesktop (7.16) and then run a XenApp Application from another provider. 
The problem is, that when the user uses XenApp Application, let's say Word 2010, the cursor is either disappearing or "distorted" / multiplied when hovering over a text field. The problem doesn't exist when accessing XenDesktop via Citrix Receiver on a Windows PC / Mac and then starting the XenApp Application. 

Background:

We got a new client, who already had Igel thin Client and Citrix (7.x don't know what version exactly) with Windows 7 VDI. The problem didn't exist with this setup. 

Then we setup a whole new network with new windows servers (2016), windows 10 VDI, an Citrix XenDesktop 7.16. The Igel Thin Clients stayed the same but with new configuration for the new network. 

What we've tried so far:

- different versions of Citrix Receiver

- Igel OS update to Version 10

- different graphic settings

What I noticed, when I checked the connection with HDX Monitor: When using the Igel Thin Client, 32bit Mouse Cursor is not "used". But I don't know if this has something to do with that. 

Thanks for any help!

Tom

8 answers to this question

Hi Tom,

Could you please upgrade to 4.11 or the latest receiver (4.12), upgrade the receivers on the thin client and XD.

This should ideally resolve the issue, there are been some known mouse scaling issues that have been fixed in 4.11 version.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Vikas Hiremath

14 minutes ago, Thomas Ebnoumlther said:

I changed the cursor to black. this resolved most of the problems. Now the thin clients replaced with fat clients and the problem doesn't exist anymore. I tried updating Citrix Receiver to the newest version on VDI but not on the Igel Thin Client. Maybe that would have resolved the problem. 

sorry I forgot to mention that I had to change the mouse options in the nested session. Don't know if you already tried that. 

Yes, I've tried that too. 

Starting a nested session inside XenDesktop is a supported and common scenario  (when creating the master image, Workspace-App installation is even autoselected) 

And I thought that IGEL Thinclients are also very common. So I can't understand why no one else (except your post) is complaining about similar problems.

We had a similar issue.. where inside the text boxes inside a XenApp, the cursor basically turned white and couldn't see the cursor. The fix was to modify the following key  SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Citrix\ICA client\Engine\Configuration\Advanced\Modules\Thinwire3.0\ConvertMonoCursorToColor = 0

We are now facing the issue of the cursor within the XenApp reverting to a small white cursor rather than respecting the cursor set within the XenDesktop session. Any fix yet out there?

On 12/1/2020 at 5:49 PM, Alex Khaytovich said:

We had a similar issue.. where inside the text boxes inside a XenApp, the cursor basically turned white and couldn't see the cursor. The fix was to modify the following key  SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Citrix\ICA client\Engine\Configuration\Advanced\Modules\Thinwire3.0\ConvertMonoCursorToColor = 0

We are now facing the issue of the cursor within the XenApp reverting to a small white cursor rather than respecting the cursor set within the XenDesktop session. Any fix yet out there?

we had this problem on 9.x thinos dell 5470.  the reg key fixed the issue.  HKLM hive.  Running Win10