failed to duplicate layer

Michael Quinonez

Question

18 answers to this question

We will not be moving into 1809 very soon. But with 1803 ended up working with support and it seemed to be a combination of things. 

One thing I remember was the partiton size so we did something like this.

Run get-disk | get-partition | foreach {$_.Size}

Divide the output by 1048576 (1MB).

We need to expand the partition to the next whole megabyte.

Example: If output is 53685353984, divide by 1048576 (1MB) and you get 51198.34326171875. Expand the partition to the next whole megabyte, 51199.

Run Get-Disk | Get-Partition | Resize-Partition -Size 51199MB

Shutdown to finalize and finalize the OS layer version.

• Like 1

What version of Windows are you talking about?  Windows 10 for instance has a default setting where it tries to hibernate even when you tell it to shut down.  Sometime you have to do a "powercfg -h off" to turn off that behavior.  But more information about your situation can't hurt.  Is there anything else in the error message? 

I upgraded from 1703 to 1709 removed recovery partition. Everything seemed great. That is the only error message the ELM is giving me. Im starting over again with another OS Version and see if this works. A default setting where it tries to hibernate hhhm? I will have to check that out.

When I logged in to that os after it presented the error. I turned on the OS version to see if there was any erorrs, but did not see any.. I will check the hibernation thing, but doesnt that script to give a shutdown cmd to finalize?

App layer 4.10.020

Vsphere 6.5

Horzion 7.4

ShutdownForFinalize.cmd just runs "shutdown /s", which Windows handles however it wants.  It should be the same as clicking the Shutdown action in the Start menu, which Windows 10 does like to switch to "Hibernate".  But let me know what you learn, or open a case and gt us ELM logs so we can see what camlogfile and maybe UniSysLibLog have to say about this.

I am gonna go ahead and update the citrix app layering prep utility because it feels right...

I didn't notice anywhere on documentation to update this though after an ELM update

I did see this

Upgrade the App Layering agent

When using PVS or Elastic Layers the Agent is required. To upgrade the App Layering Agent:

Uninstall the previous version of the App Layering Agent from the server(s) where they are installed.

Make sure that you have copied the App Layering Agent Upgrade file to the PVS server(s) where the agent is installed.

Double-click the Agent upgrade file, and follow the instructions for upgrading the Agent.

but not sure if its the same thing?

You do not.  I assume you're looking in Programs and Features to determine the version.  That only tells you the version originally installed.  Once you import the OS, we just place the current version in any boot image we need to create, whether it's a published image or a layer being edited.  We don't bother to update the Programs and Features list, though.  I believe if you try to re-run setup_x64.exe, you'll get an error.

The only thing you would normally consider upgrading are the OS Machine Tools.  Just re-run the self-extractingn archive and lt it overwrite your existing scripts.  It will unpack the new Setup_xyz.exe programs, but ignore those.

Yes I have been working with support but no resolution yet. They gave me this to try today.

on the machine of the OS layer version,

Example: If output is 53685353984, divide by 1048576 (1MB) and you get 51198.34326171875. Expand the partition to the next whole megabyte, 51199.

I updated a couple of things in my OS layer to try to fix a problem with explorer.exe crashing as well as installing the latest windows updates and running a disk cleanup. 

- Disabled firewall notifications with local GPO

Computer Configuration, Policies, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, Windows Firewall with Advanced Security: Windows Firewall Properties.

- Try a fix I found to stop explorer from failing. (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/after-installing-the-windows-fall-creators-update/77041809-0529-4ef4-b89c-578143dbc6ef?messageId=ad066c51-288f-46a1-bcc3-6d99fd469b56)

I went back and disabled the firewall notifactions and ran the fixes for explorer crashing. Didn't do the updates or the disk cleanup and now the layer is finalizing. I'll go back and install the updates in another version if this one completes successfully. 

I'm starting to think that the Disk Cleanup may have caused the problem.

1 hour ago, Michael Quinonez said:

We will not be moving into 1809 very soon. But with 1803 ended up working with support and it seemed to be a combination of things. 

This also seems to have resolved my issue.

Thank you!

On 4/26/2019 at 3:41 PM, Michael Quinonez said:

I am just facing same issue and the procedure seems not to be working in my case

I actually upgraded my OS-Layer from build v1809 to v1909. The upgrade went successfully and I was able to finalized the version.

However any new version created from the upgraded "v1909" version is showing this symtom  and I have not been able to get a way around it.

Windows was able to shutdown "shutdownForFinalize" successfully without any error message.

The first comand runs fine, but the second always generate error message that the partition is already the requested size, so nothing could be in that respect.

As it now, I am not able to update my OS-Layer in any way.

Any other option please?

Thanks

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 4:18 AM, Akinola Oke said:

I am just facing same issue and the procedure seems not to be working in my case

I actually upgraded my OS-Layer from build v1809 to v1909. The upgrade went successfully and I was able to finalized the version.

However any new version created from the upgraded "v1909" version is showing this symtom  and I have not been able to get a way around it.

Windows was able to shutdown "shutdownForFinalize" successfully without any error message.

The first comand runs fine, but the second always generate error message that the partition is already the requested size, so nothing could be in that respect.

Any other option please?

Thanks

This is exactly what I'm seeing and would be interested in some kind of resolution.  Same error, upgraded from 1809 to 1909, etc.

On 6/9/2020 at 5:18 AM, Akinola Oke said:

Any other option please?

Thanks

The most recent occurrence of this I have seen was resolved by running chkdsk on the OS layer.

The cleanest way to do this is to scan the OS layer disk in an offline state.

-Shutdown the packaging machine that is exhibiting the problem.

-Attach the OS layer disk to a non App Layering Windows VM (maintenance VM).

-If needed, set the disk online in the maintenance VM through the Windows disk manager. Assign a drive letter to the OS disk.

-Open an administrator command prompt and run:

chkdsk /f X:

-When done, make note if any errors were corrected and shutdown the maintenance VM.

-Disconnect the disk and power back on the packaging machine. If it boots up fine, then select "Shutdown to finalize" again and verify the task completes.

If this does not work, please open a support case so we can review what the specific error messages are in the logs.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:23 PM, Richard Buffone said:

The most recent occurrence of this I have seen was resolved by running chkdsk on the OS layer.

The cleanest way to do this is to scan the OS layer disk in an offline state.

-Shutdown the packaging machine that is exhibiting the problem.

-Attach the OS layer disk to a non App Layering Windows VM (maintenance VM).

-If needed, set the disk online in the maintenance VM through the Windows disk manager. Assign a drive letter to the OS disk.

-Open an administrator command prompt and run:

chkdsk /f X:

-When done, make note if any errors were corrected and shutdown the maintenance VM.

-Disconnect the disk and power back on the packaging machine. If it boots up fine, then select "Shutdown to finalize" again and verify the task completes.

If this does not work, please open a support case so we can review what the specific error messages are in the logs.

Thanks, the offline checkdisk seems to have resolved the issue in my case.

However, I hope I would not have to be going through this procedure with each updates (Microsoft monthly updates)