Smart Card Logon Failure Windows 10

Jonathan Clark1709155079

Question

I'm running into a weird issue.  Windows 10 1703, XD 7.16.  Wyse ThinOS, Storefront 7.13

We have smart card logons enabled. When logging in with username/password everything works fine.  When logging in via smart card, we get a weird Citrix SSON Key Icon for the User Profile picture until the logon completes.  Sometimes the logon just fails at: "Citrix Smartcard SSON".  Users have to click "Other User" select their PIV and then put in their PIN and logon.  It is like a Windows 10 tile for "Other Users" but instead it is showing "Citrix Smartcard SSON".  

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas?  Our Windows 7 image works fine and the problem above only occurs roughly 25% of the time.  We always get the "Citrix Smartcard SSON" logon tile, but sometimes it works and logs us in, and other times it just freezes forcing us to select "Other User".

Thanks

5 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Kate Mangan said:

Did you sort it out?  Seeing this exact issue in 2019 (but on a newer win10 build).  Definitely related to my platform layer, as I don't see it when I use my other platform layer.

Nope.  The issue actually disappeared.  Not sure if it was related to a Windows patch or something else, but at some point it just went away and stopped occurring.  We just rebuilt the environment to run Win 1809  from scratch and never saw the issue occur once.  Are you running the latest App Layering software?  We did not deploy Hosted OS so our scenario was limited to Win10. Do you have elastic layers enabled?  If so, if you disable them on the Image template and deploy it, do you still see the issue?  

5 minutes ago, Jonathan Clark1709155079 said:

Nope.  The issue actually disappeared.  Not sure if it was related to a Windows patch or something else, but at some point it just went away and stopped occurring.  We just rebuilt the environment to run Win 1809  from scratch and never saw the issue occur once.  Are you running the latest App Layering software?  We did not deploy Hosted OS so our scenario was limited to Win10. Do you have elastic layers enabled?  If so, if you disable them on the Image template and deploy it, do you still see the issue?  

I don't think we're on the latest - but given we don't see this behavior on the same App Layering software with same everything except platform layer, it must be something there.  We don't do elastic layers.  I'm sure we'll figure it out, or worst case, redo the layer from scratch!

I still get this same issue with smart cards. The user will often have to pick other users and choose their cert manually. From what I have observed it appears to be related to the default certificate on the smart card. In my organization  we have 4 certs on each smart card. There recently was a change to which one would be used for authentication. We were seeing this problem before apparently due to users certs being assigned default cert erroneously. But not it is easier to see that it happens as the preferred cert changes and the default one on the card does not change with that new requirement. I am going to continue to gather data points on this issue and I will try to remember to update this thread if we positively identify the cause and solution.