Updated Privacy Statement

Need to change "Machine Size" for a Dedicated/Persistent Machine Catalog using Citrix Cloud in Azure

Jason Richardson1709159136

Question

I have been doing a POC using Citrix Cloud and Azure with XenDesktop.  I have created a Citrix Machine Catalog of Windows 10 Desktops that are dedicated/persistent desktops using MCS.  The catalog and its desktops were originally provisioned using the Azure template called Standard D4s V3.  This means each VM has 4 vCPUs and 16GB of RAM.  Since the initial deployment, requirements for these VMs have changed and they need to be running at 8 vCPUs and 32GB of RAM and the Azure Template is called Standard D8s V3.  I originally went into Azure to the 5 VMs in this machine catalog and manually changed each of them to the "SIZE" I needed them at.  All was well of course until after a shut down or a reboot, the VMs go back to the original size defined when the machine catalog was created of 4 vCPUs and 16GB of RAM.  I need to know how to change the machine catalog to have a Machine Size of Standard D8s V3 rather than Standard D4s V3.  I also found the following article related to doing something similar on prem when using VMware or XenServer...https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX201226

As you can see in the attached screen shots, the MEMORY field and CPU field of my Machine Catalog are set to 0, but the ServiceOffering field looks to be the one that needs to be changed but I am not sure if that is all that needs to change nor do I know how to change that properly.  Does anyone have any idea how to accomplish what I need to do?  As I mentioned before these are dedicated/persistent desktops created using MCS and the users are developers and have already installed the software/tools they need so I really do not want to create new machines and new catalog as they will need to go install all of their software again.  Plus, I would think that this would be something that many customers may need to do in their own environments as well.

2018-01-16_7-35-10.jpg

2018-01-16_7-36-50.jpg

12 answers to this question

Just came across this myself. Started the same way as you did and was able to update the machine size for an existing machine catalog using the below.

Get-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeName "MachineCatalogName"

Copied the MasterImageVM and ServiceOffering values, then combined them in the Set-ProvScheme command while updating the ServiceOffering value with the new Azure VM size.

Set-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeName "MachineCatalogName" -ServiceOffering "MasterImageVM\ServiceOffering".

• Like 1
On 11/22/2021 at 4:25 PM, Byron Zhao1709158087 said:

I have been testing it, but it is not working for me. It is still D2s_v4.

Set-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeName "MachineCatalogName" -ServiceOffering "XDHyp:\HostingUnits\CentralUS-EUC\image.folder\my.resourcegroup\vm-image-10.snapshot\Standard_E2s_v5.serviceoffering"

Get-ProvScheme does show the new service offering:

"image.folder\my.resourcegroup\vm-image-10.snapshot\Standard_E2s_v5.serviceoffering"

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Byron

I do no follow you guys. Should this be done on the machine itself or on the image? Can I run this command from my Windows 11 desktop and will it be able to understand?

• Like 1
On 2/20/2020 at 8:52 PM, Cale Williams said:

Just came across this myself. Started the same way as you did and was able to update the machine size for an existing machine catalog using the below.

Get-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeName "MachineCatalogName"

Copied the MasterImageVM and ServiceOffering values, then combined them in the Set-ProvScheme command while updating the ServiceOffering value with the new Azure VM size.

Set-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeName "MachineCatalogName" -ServiceOffering "MasterImageVM\ServiceOffering".

Cale - I am facing the same problem but cannot get the correct syntax. I think I am failing on the master image location - here is the error 

Set-ProvScheme : The Service Offering path could not be resolved. Please ensure that the path includes a drive specification and path to a location within a HostingUnit.
At line:1 char:1
+ Set-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeName "525 Desktops" -ServiceOfferin ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Set-ProvScheme], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Citrix.XDPowerShell.MachineCreationStatus.ServiceOfferingPathResolutionFailed,Citrix.MachineCreation.Sdk.Commands.SetProvSchemeCommand

Could you offer any guidance on the syntax of the masterimagevm location and service offering please?

On 12/6/2020 at 10:34 PM, Alasdair Crawford1709160706 said:

Cale - I am facing the same problem but cannot get the correct syntax. I think I am failing on the master image location - here is the error 

Set-ProvScheme : The Service Offering path could not be resolved. Please ensure that the path includes a drive specification and path to a location within a HostingUnit.
+ Set-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeName "525 Desktops" -ServiceOfferin ...
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Set-ProvScheme], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Citrix.XDPowerShell.MachineCreationStatus.ServiceOfferingPathResolutionFailed,Citrix.MachineCreation.Sdk.Commands.SetProvSchemeCommand

Could you offer any guidance on the syntax of the masterimagevm location and service offering please?

Set-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeName "Example" -ServiceOffering "XDHyp:\HostingUnits\Citrix\image.folder\test.resourcegroup\Example_OsDisk.manageddisk\Standard_D4s_v3.serviceoffering".

I get an error every time:

Set-ProvScheme : Permission to perform the operation was denied.
+ Set-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeName "
CatalogName" -ServiceOffering  ...
    + CategoryInfo          : PermissionDenied: (:) [Set-ProvScheme], UnauthorizedAccessException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Citrix.XDPowerShell.Status.PermissionDenied,Citrix.MachineCreation.Sdk.Commands.SetProvSchemeCommand

I have been testing it, but it is not working for me. It is still D2s_v4.

Set-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeName "MachineCatalogName" -ServiceOffering "XDHyp:\HostingUnits\CentralUS-EUC\image.folder\my.resourcegroup\vm-image-10.snapshot\Standard_E2s_v5.serviceoffering"

Get-ProvScheme does show the new service offering:

"image.folder\my.resourcegroup\vm-image-10.snapshot\Standard_E2s_v5.serviceoffering"

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Byron