Updated Privacy Statement

XenApp slow logon times, user get black screen for 20 seconds.

Andy White1709154166

Question

Hello,

We use XenApp 7.6 with Windows 2012R2 on VMware 5.5.

Logon times have become slow recently for users, they get a black screen just before their XenApp desktop shows up for about 20 seconds.  How do we find out the cause of this?  Most profiles are under 100mb.

If I turn all the GPOs off apart from the UPM GPO it's still slow, if I turn it off logons are fast.

The first user logon on the VDAs everyday is always slow (we reboot every night) even with the Citrix Profile Manger service off and all GPOs.

Thanks

• Answers 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi, 

We had this issue up with Citrix support a couple of weeks ago, the enviroment in that case are an 7.6 upgraded to 7.9 and then 7.11.The issue is still present even after upgrade to the latest version. 

The suggestions from Citrixsupport this time where:

1. Enable Legacy Graphic mode in Citrix policy, (workaround rather than a solution if you ask me) 

2.use Admin Approval Mode for the built-in Administrator account

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd851527(v=ws.11).aspx

No 2 at first seemed to help, but the error is still present. 

We also see that sometimes the login time decrease after a couple of successfull logins. 
  • Like 1

I'm troubleshooting this in my environment.  I started removing "things" to eliminate them.  At this point, I have an RDP session, pointing to a UPM generated profile using RDS to handle the profile.  I'm able to reproduce my slowness issue in this scenario.

I found that removing HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\StateStore resolves the issue.  If I log off and back on, it's slow again -- the key is back.  Deleting it again allows me to log back in quickly.

If I reproduce the same test with UPM handing the profile - deleting this key doesn't fix it.

I'm still troubleshooting with Citrix, but I wanted to share this info to see if it helped anyone else.  I'll make sure to post our findings here, assuming they're related.  

Hi Joe - I will try this too.

I know it's UPM related, if I go onto my test VDA and turn off the service called "Citrix Profile Management" and log in it's lightning fast.

What is still very where even with this service off is every night our VDAs are rebooted, but the first user on that VDA always gets the long black screen, users who log on after to the same VDA are much faster.

Weird.

I have a call open with Citrix, will keep you posted.

Andy

Hi Joe - I will try this too.

I know it's UPM related, if I go onto my test VDA and turn off the service called "Citrix Profile Management" and log in it's lightning fast.

What is still very where even with this service off is every night our VDAs are rebooted, but the first user on that VDA always gets the long black screen, users who log on after to the same VDA are much faster.

Weird.

I have a call open with Citrix, will keep you posted.

Andy

Thanks Andy and Joe

Just disabled UPM service, logon is much faster!

UPM profile is nearly empty so that shouldnt matter.

Please keep us updated.

Marco

We restart our VDA's every night, but the first user logon to a VDA in the morning will always gets the 'black screen of death' (sorry).  

I just restarted a test VDA to simulate this and turned off the Citrix Profile Management services to see if this is also related, but the black screen is back and very long.  The second user is fine.

2 black screen issues then.

Seems many of us get this.

I will chase Citrix tomorrow.

If the Citrix Profile Manager service is turned off on the VDA logons are almost instant or resetting the users UPM profile helps.

None of the above helps though on the first user logon of the day as the VDA's are rebooted at 2am.  We have 24 VDAs and the first user on each will get the back screen even with the Citrix Profile Manager turned off.

So 2 issues with the black screen.

What does that service do?  I guess it's all the little user settings are always available (Roaming profiles).  We redirect the desktop folder, IE favourites, Documents etc so most of their data roams anyway.

Hope to get this sorted as 100s of users complain about the slow logons.

All,

I engaged Citrix support and after some initial troubleshooting (Disable Status, Legacy Policy, Disable/Enable UPM), We then Disabled the following via GPO - Computer Configuration>administrative Templates>System>Logon and Disabled "Show first sign-in animation"

The 20 second black screen is now reduced to about 3 seconds, over-all logins took about 20 seconds.

• Like 1

Just got off the phone for round 2 with Citrix support, after reviewing the login process getting 20 seconds of black screen at first login, then about 2 seconds for any login after that, we added the following exclusion to our UPM policy via Studio....

Profile Management

Exclusion List - Directories

Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Applications Shortcuts

We then rebooted our server, and tested first logon. The black screen appeared for about 4.5 seconds. I then logged off, logged back on and the black screen occurred for about 2 seconds. I rebooted the server again, first login took a total of 21 seconds (17 seconds for policies, 4 seconds black screen). 2nd login to the server took a total of 11 seconds (8 seconds for policies, 2 seconds of black screen).

Just as an update, Citrix recommended that I disable App Readiness service, which did not resolve the issue. I also upgraded my farm to XD 7.11 and UPM 5.5, still no resolution. First login took a total of 53 seconds (33 seconds for policies, 20 seconds black screen), 2nd login took 19 seconds (15 seconds for policies, 4 seconds black screen), man is this frustrating to figure out.

Hi Andy, interesting thread.

Cut Director Interactive Session in half, add this registry key

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize]
"StartupDelayInMSec"=dword:00000000

UFH\SHC

As Carl said delete through GPP. I prefer to add Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UFH\SHC to Citrix UPM exclusion list. More details http://xenappblog.com/2016/optimize-logon-times-os/

VDA Reboot
1st user logon/per server will always be slower (Shell Start in uberAgent) because everything is loaded into memory. That's why VDI have longer logon times compared to RDSH.

Disable UPM
Not a good idea, since Director logging will stop.

Eric

Hi Kevin & Andy.

The black screen shouldn't been there, but the fact is that the login times will be longer 1st user/1st user. Yes Andy, fake login could be scripted or done with something like Goliath Technologies, ControlUp or something custom.

In my mind everything below 15 sec for RDSH and 30 sec for VDI is awesome. From my blog post you'll see that I've got 5 second logon on Windows 2012 R2. The main Shell Start show stopper there is App-V & Turbo.net applications. If that is removed from the VM it's down to 3-4 seconds.

Eric

Eric#

So where is this key added, the VDA master image and pushed out?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize]

"StartupDelayInMSec"=dword:00000000

And is it to get the logon times closer to UberAgent as I know that seems more realistic rather than the first click from Receiver?

UberAgent any good, I can't seem to find a cost?

Thanks